Windows XP Pro 64bit <=D imapi.sys BSOD!!!

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP Pro 64bit <=D imapi.sys BSOD!!!

Postby joe_devore » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

having a BSODs problem on Windows XP Pro SP2 64bit (v5.2.3790)

• Mini123014-02.dmp
  • KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • imapi.sys + 2501
  • x64
  • ntoskrnl.exe + 2e890

• 0x0000001e
  • ffffffff`c0000005
  • fffff800`0109b2cb
  • 00000000`00000000
  • ffffffff`ffffffff

So here it is I finally got myself a copy of Windows XP Pro 64bit off of eBay week before ^_^ and all the drivers were available ^_^!!
so I could now make the use of this OLD LAN center Gaming Rig specs are in my updated signature ^_^..

anyhow there specifics are as follows...
I have a ton of OLD PlayStation 1 game CDs I have over time manually extracted the .STR video/audio files
and encoded them now using AVANTI/FFmpeg so I could enjoy them again when I felt like it ^_^.

1) load game CD in CD/DVD drive (in this case I have a new ASUS DRW-24B1ST (SATA DVD-Burner) as of this year...)
2) locate vid folder in this case for Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)(CD) its the open folder
3) select .STR files and drag and drop, or click copy
4) paste into a local HDD folder
5) system lockup & BSOD
6) auto-reboot

7) using BlueScreenView ^_^ checks info
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

finds out crash is caused by the imapi.sys driver.
___
ps: not being able to upload the dump files, or EVEN A TEXT FILE WITH THE BSOD info is LAME (forgive the >_<)
Attachments
BlueScreenViewReport__imapi.sys__.txt & mini-dmp.rar
(12.8 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
joe_devore
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Windows XP Pro 64bit <=D imapi.sys BSOD!!!

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:46 am

From Administrator Tools, use the Event Viewer to note what happened. All normal and faulted "Application" and "System" events are logged there.. with error codes.
If those "external" files are less than 16-bit format, could cause problems. Only in command-prompt mode can XP work with some older 8-bit files. 16-bit files would be in 'compatibility' mode. The 64-bit version of Windows does not like 8-bit files, and may try to group two or more processes into one.. and causes the BSOD and freeze ups. The 32-bit version is a bit more forgiving.
In reference to "stop error 0x0000001e".. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275678
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby joe_devore » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:17 am

Hi Karl ^_^ its been a while since I was last on here...

well the files are dated from

Sony Play Station 1
Final Fantasy Tactics (CD, SCUS_942.21)
"Friday, October 17, 1997, 4:37:21 AM"

oooh makes sense, one more area of Windows that doesn't work right that M$ never fixed.

cmd line huh...... ok I'll write a cmd batch file and test it out for doing a xcopy of files from the old PS1 CD to my HDD and hope it goes off without a hitch
thx Karl. =D
joe_devore
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:40 pm

What may work best is a PSX emulator for the Play Station games..
http://www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstat ... /Windows/2
Just as with older Doom, Hexen or Heretic games, the zdoom engine works nicely! \:D/
http://zdoom.org/Download
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby joe_devore » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:57 pm

I have a whole Emulator setup for most of the old systems and a neat Dir-structure too boot..
I use ePSXe for PS1 Emu, and
ePSXe and! I get the latest nightlies whenever they are released
Automated Pcsx2 builds at orphis.net buildbot
and there just so happens to be an update today ^_^
on the subject of PS2 I actually dumped my own PS2's BIOS and that took years before I could find the right tool to do and and a few more year till I was given this great PC to be able to run it loi ^_^ that and I imaged two of my own games myself to play via emu, FF10, FF12 ^_^.

I had volunteered for a LAN Center (June 2008 till he was forced to close August 2011).

btw... that cmd method failed miserable, as soon as I executed the batch file... B.S.O.D. ;_; ohh well it wasn't meant to be loi...
joe_devore
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:07 am

A 64-bit OS doesn't like 'batch' files, unless in command-prompt or compatibility mode.
An older emulator program may not be formatted for a 64-bit OS.
Here is a tip from MS as to setting compatibility mode for older programming.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292533
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby joe_devore » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:14 pm

yah I already know about compatibility mode... I have one program I needed to set to XP and that is Notepad++ on my Win7 64bit laptop.... otherwise forcing Notepad++ to use the install dir for plugins and settings wasn't working correctly.....

all of my games and emu's which are all 32bit except for WoW which blizzard made a 64bit exe lol work just fine....
except for Starcraft 1 I found i needed to enable compatibility mode to XP on Win7 for that game as well.

ooh ok I see a compatibility tab for the cmd files.... O_o.
joe_devore
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Operating Systems