Windows 10

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 10

Postby c327 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Well like a lot of folks wondering when it will be out that includes me. All there seems to be are rumors. Last rumor I read was April 2015? Then I read something about January? So who knows :roll:

Thing is XP no longer being supported and not being able to use anything newer than IE8 with it has me using Google Chrome which I absolutely don't like not even a little.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Windows 10

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:10 pm

I am still with Win XP Pro on my 'main' system. Firefox is my default browser. No problems. Will eventually have to do a new OS version. Still a lot of field testing and finalizing of the "new" Windows version. By mid-February, there may be some positive date set by M$. Yes, M$ had another "strange child" with Win 8 and 8.1 versions. So no "number 9".
The IE8 version of Explorer is not encrypted securely enough any longer. The only "support" for Win XP will be the monthly malicious software removal tool (KB890830) which is available about 10 days into each month. But that may end within 6 months, when the ATM and POS (point of sale) systems are changed over. Their OS is a version of Win XP.
Chrome should be good, as long as it is not loaded with add-ons. Adobe Flash should be added.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:14 am

The only thing coming in January will be a possible new preview build. April 15, 2015 is the end date for the Technical Preview. After that date, it will no longer function. There will, in all probability, be more builds, perhaps a Beta release before that.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mark H » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:09 am

Just saw This.Those wanting to, can upgrade from Windows 7, 8, 8.1 for free to 10. Release later in the year.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:26 pm

CNN Money has some highlights on the "new" Windows version..
http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/21/technol ... index.html
There were a lot of grumbles from users about similarities to Win ME with Win 7 and 8.
Possibly, holographic glasses will be part of the setup.. so you can experience a 'virtual' world of reality!
But I am concerned with holographic viewing, if a laser beam is part of it. Some newer LED high-intensity lamps can render holograms safely.. but not a laser.
Voice recognition commands may be nice, but if someone imitates your vocal overtones too well.. problems?
The "HoloStudio" feature is supposed to recognize gestures and movements.. possibly as commands? Thankfully, a specific command word is needed for acceptance of commands! Hope it can be user changed.
And the Internet browser will be radically changed.. being similar to Firefox and Chrome.
One nice notation is that users of Win 7 and 8 can do a free upgrade to Win 10 if wanted!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:42 am

For one year only. There will be 2 browsers included, Internet Explorer and the "Spartan" browser. IE is still included for enterprises that were foolish enough to get trapped in asp/activex hell.

They have brought back the desktop, and boy do they want you to embrace this one giving it away for free. Too bad everybody just got kicked to windows 7, for many the next best thing to XP because they had to. Not because they wanted to. People will upgrade to windows 10 or maybe 11. When support on windows 7 stops.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:17 am

i feel it completely depends on the look/feel of 10 vs. 7 on whether people will move. a significant number of people that just recently got kicked to 7 will (in my belief) move on to 10 if it's not a interface-shock like 8 was. it's a good strategy for microsoft, and i think it'll be a pretty successful experiment.

personally, i'll definitely take advantage of the freebie...as long as it's not as kludgy of a switchover as 8 was.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mark H » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:57 am

Nice thing about 10, is the return of the Start menu, and classic desktop. My current preview build boots to the desktop. Users can also run the full Metro, or select what goes on it. I'll post a screenshot of my desktop later.
One question I hope will be answered later is, will there be a way to revert to the prior OS if the user doesn't like 10, i.e. will the prior COA still work? Before I upgrade anything, I will make a disk image.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:06 am

There is no downgrade option. Going back means bare metal restore so making a disk image is a splendid idea. I would even go as far as putting a different disk in my machine keeping the original in a safe place (AND still make a backup).
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:51 am

I don't go back that far in PC use (Windows 98) like most here but I have seen enough to compare those since from a users point of view.

When Windows XP showed up I had been having nightmares with Windows ME and really like XP even with all the Hot Fixes. Used a friends Window 7 and didn't like it the minute it booted up. 8 came along and it seemed to be pretty much the same so I passed on that also. Now like most folks I am going to have to do something about upgrading the current OS for obvious reasons and have read some good things about 10 but will have to wait until its available retail (Oct ?). I only hope that its missing some of the eye candy 7 & 8 has and more down to basics in use.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Next

Return to Operating Systems