How to connect Polaroid PMID921X Android tablet?[SOLVEDx2]

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How to connect Polaroid PMID921X Android tablet?[SOLVEDx2]

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:03 am

Xmas was nice to provide my family with a new tech edition. :)

Unfortunately it doesn't want to play nice, yet.

How do I get this new Polaroid PMID921X Android Tablet to connect to my home network?

Currently I have the following setup.

Cable Internet to Cable Modem.
Modem connects to a wired router. The wired router has a Smart TV, PC, Wireless WAP connected.
The WAP connects to my Wifi Laptop.

How do I get the Tablet to connect to my WAP?

I can get to the Wifi Setup screen on the tablet, but I don't see my Wifi network listed in the available Wifi?

I do not own any type of cellphone, and I'm not familiar with all this Android stuff. The computer side of things I can handle, but the phone side messes things up.

Please help me set this up for a family member.

Thx, :) Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
Last edited by BIGMAN131307 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: How to connect Polaroid PMID921X Android tablet?

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:12 am

The unit has an IP address, which should be seen by the router and accepted as 'trusted'. From "My Network Places" desktop icon. check the entire network for a new IPA. Then accept it. The tablet should be able to find active nearby network signals, from its drop-down menu.. and log on.
A firewall program may have to be set to accept the IPA also.
If the main setup is an older standard, it may not accept a newer standard.. but a newer device is supposed to be backward-compatible with older standards.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:10 am

Karlsweldt wrote:The unit has an IP address, which should be seen by the router and accepted as 'trusted'. From "My Network Places" desktop icon. check the entire network for a new IPA. Then accept it. The tablet should be able to find active nearby network signals, from its drop-down menu.. and log on.
A firewall program may have to be set to accept the IPA also.
If the main setup is an older standard, it may not accept a newer standard.. but a newer device is supposed to be backward-compatible with older standards.

Which "unit" are you referring to? From "My Network Places" desktop icon, where should I be looking for this? PC or Tablet?

What is a "IPA" ?

I'm trying to connect this to my WAP. I was able to add my SSID to the available list,
but it won't stay connected. It keeps stating no internet connection
My network setup is as follows:

Cable internet into Cable Modem
Cable Modem to Wired Linksys Router
Wired Linksys Router connects to: PC, Smart TV, Linksys WAP
Linksys WAP connects Wifi Laptop

I want to connect the "polaroid tablet pmid921x" to my Linksys WAP

The packaging states this Polaroid PMID921X Android tablet runs on OS JellyBean 4.2 if that helps any.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:46 pm

:mb_censored:: :mb_help1:: :mb_pcmad::

Now my problems have gotten much worse. :(

First I can't get this new Polaroid PMID921X Android tablet to connect. After messing with a few settings, not my laptop can't connect to my WAP. :(

Please help me get my laptop reconfigured. I give up on the tablet.

But I need the laptop to be connected asap.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

What do I need to do step by step to get my laptop to work again?

Which information do I need from my router, WAP, laptop? Where do I find it? What would be the best settings to use?

Sorry for all the questions but after few years without much wireless problems, I forgot many of these basics. :(
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:15 pm

May be easiest to pick a 'restore point' prior to the conflagration.
If you double-click the desktop icon for "My Network Places" it displays all the available clients and hosts.
By right-clicking and choosing 'properties'' the network setup will be displayed. If you have any duplicated network features, then delete the duplicates. They should be tagged with a [1] or similar.
The OS version is of no concern. Most use a form of Android. The standard for wireless links may be 4G or 5G. Check what standard the wireless router is. If 4G and the new tablet is 5G, then setup may need to be done from the tablet. "Backward compatible" is the key.

If you can get into command prompt mode (start > run > type cmd) and then type in ipconfig/all and any active networking paths will be displayed. When done with the prompt window, just type exit to close.

When all seems hopeless, find the manual.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:35 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:May be easiest to pick a 'restore point' prior to the conflagration.

For the laptop or tablet?
Karlsweldt wrote:If you double-click the desktop icon for "My Network Places" it displays all the available clients and hosts.
By right-clicking and choosing 'properties'' the network setup will be displayed. If you have any duplicated network features, then delete the duplicates. They should be tagged with a [1] or similar.
The OS version is of no concern. Most use a form of Android. The standard for wireless links may be 4G or 5G. Check what standard the wireless router is. If 4G and the new tablet is 5G, then setup may need to be done from the tablet. "Backward compatible" is the key.

It did mention something about a duplicate network name. I'm using a wired router with a wireless WAP connected to it.
Karlsweldt wrote:If you can get into command prompt mode (start > run > type cmd) and then type in ipconfig/all and any active networking paths will be displayed. When done with the prompt window, just type exit to close.

Should I do this on the laptop?
Karlsweldt wrote:When all seems hopeless, find the manual.

Well the laptop manual is in the box. But the tablet manual is a joke. One fold out page that just points out the parts, diagram, on/off, headphones, etc. Nothing in depth about getting it to connect properly.

Charge it for 8hrs+ [X] :)
Turn it on [X] :)
Setup wireless, find desired connection [X] :)
Connect, enter PW [X] :)
Successfully Browse the internet on the new tablet [FAILED] :(

I will try getting the laptop connected again. I'd hate having to reset the router & WAP. But if it comes to that, what would be the steps I need to take to get both the laptop & tablet to connect to the wifi signal from the WAP?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:25 am

So, on the laptop, if you open a command prompt and type
ipconfig
what do you get?

You should have 3 lines, one with a network address
one with a network mask
and one default gateway. And they should NOT start with 169.254.

Compare to what you have on the PC. If it is similar and if you are that far it's time to try the next step.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:36 am

Ok we have positive progress. :) My laptop is now back online. :)

The tablet sees the wireless connection, secures & saves it. But it fails to connect to it. :(

My wireless is set to WPA Personal (AES), do I need to make any changes on the WAP settings?

I can't find any settings to change on the tablet. If they are there, I can't find them. :(

Will the WPA work with WPS?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not too familiar with all this tablet stuff. It was a project to setup the WAP the first time.

Update: I got it to finally work after Disabling Mac Address Requirements. [SOLVED] :)

Thx for the help.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: How to connect Polaroid PMID921X Android tablet?[SOLVED]

Postby evasive » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:44 am

Ah. You could ofcourse try and find out the Tablet MAC address, add that one to the table of allowed addresses and re-enable that security feature of your wireless AP.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: How to connect Polaroid PMID921X Android tablet?[SOLVED]

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:54 am

evasive wrote:Ah. You could of course try and find out the Tablet MAC address, add that one to the table of allowed addresses and re-enable that security feature of your wireless AP.

Where can I find it? If I can clearly see it labeled, then I'd do it. :)
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Next

Return to Networking