Monitor Resolution Settings

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Monitor Resolution Settings

Postby c327 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:00 pm

I have a new 19.5 inch widescreen monitor and the best resolution setting I can select from the menu on the PC so that the website fills the screen has the images kind of stretched. Is there a way of making a custom setting. The monitor has a recommended resolution setting but it is not one of the choices available.

I don't play games so I don't really need a large screen but the wide screen does come in handy when working on two documents or websites.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Monitor Resolution Settings

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:27 am

Hi!

When U say stretched, do U mean more tall than wide?

normally it´s related to aspect ratio, widescreen uses 16:9 meanwhile the traditional aspect is 4:3. when U expand the 4:3 aspect to 16:9 U get a wider than taller image (people look fat) in te reverse way people look enlarged.

for a normal look U have to keep the aspect ratio, then U get either a black frame on both top and bottom of the screen (16:9 to 4:3) or the same black frame on both sides of the screen (going from 4:3 to 16:9 aspect ratio)

sometimes the problem is related to the resolution that the web site is optimized to, check that
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:40 am

There should be a user menu as part of the video driver program. Likely it has a choice of monitor aspect ratios.
Many sites use the 16:9 aspect, but many sites still retain the 'square' or 4:3 aspect.
Almost all monitors and TVs today are wide-screen design.
You sometimes have to accept the 'black curtains' on sides of the screen for some sites.
Better than scrolling sideways frequently to see the full image on a 'square' screen.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:08 am

make/model of the monitor? that way we can dig up the technical specifications. also, I hope you don't have onboard SiS video because generally they don't support widescreen resolutions.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:44 am

evasive wrote:make/model of the monitor? that way we can dig up the technical specifications. also, I hope you don't have onboard SiS video because generally they don't support widescreen resolutions.

No have a dual DVI PCIE video card. It's a new Samsung 19.5 inch wide screen monitor with VGA & HDMI inputs. Have to get the model number and get back.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to General