Which version of Windows 7 shall I buy?

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Which version of Windows 7 shal I buy?

Postby evasive » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:48 am

other than some real legacy programs, most of the software will run on 64bit windows as well. 64bit windows can handle 32bit software too. sometimes you will need to fiddle a bit. as for the hardware, seeing you are going to build a new system, it will run fine then.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Which version of Windows 7 shall I buy?

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:00 am

What does "semi-dedicated F@H client" mean
?
The F@H process uses GPU hardware to do the dissemination and 'folding' of protein strains. Only when the system is idle, does the GPU program work. If any other user needs of the system, the process pauses. The previous F@H process was done with the CPU exclusively, and the program would use "spare" or "free" CPU cycles to do its work. Normal access to a PC was otherwise available.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jcn » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:One bit is either an on state or off state (yes/no) to control a process.
The computers of many years ago (1960s) were 4-bit class. This meant that a maximum data packet of 4 bits could be processed at one time. The early 1970s saw the first 8-bit processor. In the late 1970s the first 16-bit processor was available.
1981 was the time when a 32-bit processor became available. Then the 64-bit processor arrived in early 2000.
If a system is limited to 32-bit processing, a 64-bit OS will not be fully effective.. the hardware and driver sets have to be compatible. For optimum performance with a 64-bit system, the programming has to be compliant. Most processors and systems today can accommodate a 64-bit OS install.
Here is a link to Intel® and other processor history.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... processors

Thanks Karlsweldt, that's most helpful and very informative, :D I have saved that page for future reference although I know some of that having programed Z80 and 6502 8-bit.
ASUS P4S8X motherboard.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz Northwood.
3GB DDR.
Gigabyte ATI Radeon R9700 PRO Graphics Accelerator.
USB Modem for BB.
Maxtor 80GB hard drive.
52x CD ROM Drive.
Floppy Drive.
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
PSU, 420 W, P4.
jcn
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jcn » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:16 pm

evasive wrote:other than some real legacy programs, most of the software will run on 64bit windows as well. 64bit windows can handle 32bit software too. sometimes you will need to fiddle a bit. as for the hardware, seeing you are going to build a new system, it will run fine then.

"need to fiddle a bit" :lol: classic!and I thought you guys here had no sense of humor :D

Thanks evasive,

That's what I wanted to know. So most/all current software is written for 64 bit machines?
ASUS P4S8X motherboard.
3GB DDR.
USB Modem for BB.
Maxtor 80GB hard drive.
52x CD ROM Drive.
Floppy Drive.
PSU, 420 W, P4.
jcn
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jcn » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:
What does "semi-dedicated F@H client" mean
?
The F@H process uses GPU hardware to do the dissemination and 'folding' of protein strains. Only when the system is idle, does the GPU program work. If any other user needs of the system, the process pauses. The previous F@H process was done with the CPU exclusively, and the program would use "spare" or "free" CPU cycles to do its work. Normal access to a PC was otherwise available.

:? :oops: I have no idea what all that means, sorry. :oops:
ASUS P4S8X motherboard.
3GB DDR.
USB Modem for BB.
Maxtor 80GB hard drive.
52x CD ROM Drive.
Floppy Drive.
PSU, 420 W, P4.
jcn
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:51 pm

As evasive noted, your new system should have no problems with a 64-bit OS platform. It should have few problems with 32-bit programs, maybe a few might need a bit of "tweaking" or "fiddling" to work proper. But the compatibility mode is there for that purpose, if needed. Backward compatible but not forward compatible.

As to the F@H or Folding at Home program, it is a study as to why and how proteins fold to become viable.. or faulted. And if they fault, at which step in the folding process is the cause. Snippets or small protein bits are digitized into a workable file for your computer to disseminate and simulate the folding process. Most types of cancer, other afflictions are the result of improper folding of proteins. It is thought there are over 2,000,000 protein types in the average human body!
Read up on the project...
http://folding.stanford.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_folding
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:18 pm

All current software is written in such a way it can run on 64bit machines. Some of it will also run on 32 bit machines but this is getting less and less.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:45 pm

not much differences between home and pro but here they ar...
Location-aware printing home - No , pro - Yes
Domain Join wizard home - Not included, pro - Included
Windows XP Mode home - Not supported, pro - Supported
Remote Desktop Connection Cannot use Remote Desktop Connection feature to connect to a PC that runs Windows 7 Home Premium.
Remote Desktop Connection works when trying to connect to a PC that runs Windows 7 Professional.
home - Backup and restore Backups to a different drive or DVD only, pro - Backup to a different drive, DVD or over the network

here's another list...
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-versions/

basically you get a couple other things you prolly won't ever use with the pro and ultimate versions. do you plan on using a domain? do you need to run legacy programs in xp mode? do you do lots of remote desktop stuff? do you need to backup over a network?

newegg sometimes has win7 home licenses for about 80 bucks, 40-50 bucks more gets you the pro version. you should prolly just save your money and get the home version, unless you have a need for those things listed.

but ABSOLUTELY get the 64 bit version if your computer cpu is 64-bit! that is a given.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby c327 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:13 am

Neither???????

If it were me I would wait until around Christmas time when Windows 10 will possibly out.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:31 pm

c327 wrote:If it were me I would wait until around Christmas time when Windows 10 will possibly out.

Christmas...2015? they haven't even announced a release date(most likely to do this in April), and that's typically months before its actual RTM. he could get a preview version now i suppose.

windows 7 will continue to be supported for nearly another half-decade, 2020 to be precise.
if you don't have a driving need to have Windows 8, like owning a touchscreen...or needing software that only runs(or runs way better) on Win8...i would personally recommend sticking with Win7, any of the 64-bit flavor.

i'd buy slightly cheaper Win7, have very little learning curve, and then go Win10 when you feel the need/desire to...
the other option is to pay marginally more for Win8, learn it's nuances, then most-likely get pushed into Win10 by lack of real support of Win8 since MS is effectively abandoning that OS.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset