Which version of Windows 7 shall I buy?

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Which version of Windows 7 shall I buy?

Postby jcn » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:36 pm

There are many versions for sale, can you please advise on the difference between them.

What is the difference between the different "home" editions and the "Professional” editions?

:?
ASUS P4S8X motherboard.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz Northwood.
3GB DDR.
Gigabyte ATI Radeon R9700 PRO Graphics Accelerator.
USB Modem for BB.
Maxtor 80GB hard drive.
52x CD ROM Drive.
Floppy Drive.
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
PSU, 420 W, P4.
jcn
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Which version of Windows 7 shal I buy?

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:42 pm

There are major differences in the Windows versions. The 'home' version would have less features than the "pro'" version. Then there are the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Of course, what version you use depends on what the system has to offer. Memory, processor type and speed, video and hard drive space are primary considerations.
As to what 'issue' of Windows to use, Win XP is now abandoned, so too Win 2000 and all previous versions. Only Win VIsta, Win 7 are still supported, as is Win 8 and 8.1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home

Windows® Service Life:
System: Last service pack: End of main support: End of extended support:
Windows XP Service Pack 3 April 14, 2009 April 8, 2014
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 April 10, 2012 April 11, 2017
Windows 7 * Service Pack 1 January 13, 2015 January 14, 2020
Windows 8 Not yet available January 9, 2018 January 10, 2023
* Support for Windows 7 RTM without service packs ended on April 9, 2013.
Be sure to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 today to continue to receive support and updates.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... quirements
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... quirements
What should a typical system have? At least 1 GB of main system memory, a 1.8 GHz CPU, and at least a 512 MB video card, PCI-E preferred. And a hard drive of at least 250 GB. 500 GB would be better.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:55 am

if you have to ask, prolly windows home would be fine.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby jcn » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:22 pm

[quote="Karlsweldt"]There are major differences in the Windows versions. The 'home' version would have less features than the "pro'" version. Then there are the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Of course, what version you use depends on what the system has to offer. Memory, processor type and speed, video and hard drive space are primary considerations.
As to what 'issue' of Windows to use, Win XP is now abandoned, so too Win 2000 and all previous versions. Only Win VIsta, Win 7 are still supported, as is Win 8 and 8.1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home

Thanks Karlsweldt. I now have XP Home Edition 32bit :D and considering a new build. I read yesterday that Microsoft has now stopped issuing new licenses for Windows 7, so, when the suppliers sell out, it will not be available anymore although support continues until 2020 as you say, so I will have to buy soon. This is the reason for asking this question.

Although very happy with "Home Edition" I have been thinking of getting a pro version next, use it as a "home edition" while learning about the pro version, is that a good idea?
As for 32 or 64, that's another topic I need to start.
Last edited by jcn on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS P4S8X motherboard.
3GB DDR.
USB Modem for BB.
Maxtor 80GB hard drive.
52x CD ROM Drive.
Floppy Drive.
PSU, 420 W, P4.
jcn
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jcn » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:29 pm

bdub wrote:if you have to ask, prolly windows home would be fine.

Hmm, well yes that is logical, but thinking to upgrade to pro as explained above.

Thanks bdub
ASUS P4S8X motherboard.
3GB DDR.
USB Modem for BB.
Maxtor 80GB hard drive.
52x CD ROM Drive.
Floppy Drive.
PSU, 420 W, P4.
jcn
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:17 am

Always a good idea to ask for a second opinion on any topic. The experienced user will have a more realistic view.
Ads and reviews for products or services are sometimes misleading!
As to 32-bit or 64-bit OS choice: Most 32-bit programming should work well in a 64-bit OS environment.. some may require a 'compatibility' mode. But the 64-bit platform will soon be default. In a 32-bit environment, 16-bit programming is still practical but may have problems with the OS trying to "double up" on functions or instruction sets! In a 64-bit environment, 16-bit programming would have problems.
For normal use as a Web browser or light gaming, the "Home" edition should be more than adequate. With the "Pro" edition, some features may not be utilized unless into large spreadsheet or gaming use. "Home Premium" strikes a balance.

I still use Win XP on two of my systems. When the browser, antivirus and firewall programs no longer honor XP, then I will have to upgrade. A third system is running Win 7 "Home Premium" as a semi-dedicated F@H client.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:27 am

Windows 7 is no longer available as retail or as OS option on pre-installed PCs. At least, when stock runs out in the shops. You may want to check if your intended hardware to run windows on can handle windows 8 or 10
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jcn » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Always a good idea to ask for a second opinion on any topic. The experienced user will have a more realistic view.
Ads and reviews for products or services are sometimes misleading!
As to 32-bit or 64-bit OS choice: Most 32-bit programming should work well in a 64-bit OS environment.. some may require a 'compatibility' mode. But the 64-bit platform will soon be default. In a 32-bit environment, 16-bit programming is still practical but may have problems with the OS trying to "double up" on functions or instruction sets! In a 64-bit environment, 16-bit programming would have problems.
For normal use as a Web browser or light gaming, the "Home" edition should be more than adequate. With the "Pro" edition, some features may not be utilized unless into large spreadsheet or gaming use. "Home Premium" strikes a balance.

I still use Win XP on two of my systems. When the browser, antivirus and firewall programs no longer honor XP, then I will have to upgrade. A third system is running Win 7 "Home Premium" as a semi-dedicated F@H client.

Thanks again Karlsweldt
:? I'm a little confused now. I thought most machines were 32Bit! Are you saying that 64-Bit will be the norm? I have been looking through motherboard adds and lots don't even say if they are 32 or 64 without digging in to the specs. As for compatibility, is software these day compatible with both 32 and 64 Bit machines and will all the software other than the O S runing on an my 32 bit XP run on a new 64 bit machine? To be future proof (for a little while!) should my next machine be 64 bit?

What does "semi-dedicated F@H client" mean?
Last edited by jcn on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS P4S8X motherboard.
3GB DDR.
USB Modem for BB.
Maxtor 80GB hard drive.
52x CD ROM Drive.
Floppy Drive.
PSU, 420 W, P4.
jcn
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jcn » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:16 pm

evasive wrote:Windows 7 is no longer available as retail or as OS option on pre-installed PCs. At least, when stock runs out in the shops. You may want to check if your intended hardware to run windows on can handle windows 8 or 10

Thanks evasive,
ASUS P4S8X motherboard.
3GB DDR.
USB Modem for BB.
Maxtor 80GB hard drive.
52x CD ROM Drive.
Floppy Drive.
PSU, 420 W, P4.
jcn
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:18 pm

One bit is either an on state or off state (yes/no) to control a process.
The computers of many years ago (1960s) were 4-bit class. This meant that a maximum data packet of 4 bits could be processed at one time. The early 1970s saw the first 8-bit processor. In the late 1970s the first 16-bit processor was available.
1981 was the time when a 32-bit processor became available. Then the 64-bit processor arrived in early 2000.
If a system is limited to 32-bit processing, a 64-bit OS will not be fully effective.. the hardware and driver sets have to be compatible. For optimum performance with a 64-bit system, the programming has to be compliant. Most processors and systems today can accommodate a 64-bit OS install.
Here is a link to Intel® and other processor history.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... processors
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Recommendations