Sager Laptop

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Sager Laptop

Postby c327 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:45 am

Hello all,

Currently have a 6 year old Sager laptop NP2096 that still work fine with never any problems other than the battery needs to be replaced.

First off I don't use the lappy for playing games. I was thinking of getting a new lappy even though this current one runs fine.

I know there are quite a few folks that make the bare bones lappys (ODM) some probably better than the others like Compal and Clevo to name just two ODM's, mine I think is a Compal JHL90 ??

I want to stay with Sager because IMO they are a company with a face and have treated me well to this date. I was looking at the 14 and 15 inch thin lappy's but want a glossy screen. What I see now in PC's is that they come with two SSD drives, one for the O.S. and the other for storage and with LED back light. I probably could use a 250gb SSD but I don't know the best way to select the two SSD drives, Crucial, Intel or Samsung ?

Would appreciate comments and or recommendations on various configurations. Not playing games with it but want real good speed & performance while computing, a sharp and bright display and decent battery life between charges.

Thanks.........Mark
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Sager Laptop

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:48 am

That Sager laptop is one of the better brands to have. Good specs on it, too..
http://www.powernotebooks.com/specs/Sag ... ecsxrp.php
Yes, Sager is one of the few companies that still has true "inside" relations with customers! Many brands farm out their tech and service help to foreign sources that may be only desk jockeys.. not really certified.
Other brands may have entry-level and high-end models.. but the choice of features and price is what determines the final purchase. Avoid those brands that are "unknown" or may be difficult to get maintenance parts for.
Here is a link to a "top 10" review.. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369981,00.asp
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:That Sager laptop is one of the better brands to have. Good specs on it, too..
http://www.powernotebooks.com/specs/Sag ... ecsxrp.php
Yes, Sager is one of the few companies that still has true "inside" relations with customers! Many brands farm out their tech and service help to foreign sources that may be only desk jockeys.. not really certified.
Other brands may have entry-level and high-end models.. but the choice of features and price is what determines the final purchase. Avoid those brands that are "unknown" or may be difficult to get maintenance parts for.
Here is a link to a "top 10" review.. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369981,00.asp

Going to stick to Sager something. Years ago I actually picked up the phone and spoke to the CEO of Sager, try doing that with Dell :D :o :) :lol: :P :P :o :lol: :idea: :badgrin: =D> :mb_angel1:: :mb_afro:: :mb_afro:: :-({|= ](*,) [-( :mb_drool:: :mb_heerleader:: :mb_groucho:: :mb_laugh5:: :mb_oogoo1::

I looked at the link and see Dell on the list and that is one company that has no face and I swore many years ago I will never buy anything Dell ever again IMO.

Lenovo the old IBM and Apple ?????

What is the best SSD configuration and which of the 3 here would be the better choice Intel, Samsung or Crucial
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:28 pm

A "top 10" review of the best SSD hard drives.. http://solid-state-drive-review.toptenreviews.com/
Not all brands are made "in-house".. just branded with a name. Some do have a 5-year warranty, so they are becoming as reliable as a standard hard drive. The SSD hard drive does use a bit less energy than a standard hard drive, too.
Apple products are good, rated high among users. But if the OS is not compatible to programs used in Windows, then you may be left hunting for an equal.
The newer laptops may be rated similar in CPU speed to older models, but with multi-core technology would be faster overall in performance.
Battery life is extended somewhat, also.
But choose with caution. An old saw.. "today's Filet Mignon is tomorrow's hash"!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations