Well, I went and did it....

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Well, I went and did it....

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm on Verizon's Edge Up plan (you can trade your phone in after a year, sortof like a lease rather than buying). I just came up due and, to my neverending shame.........bought an iPhone 5s. I know, last gen, but it was also $20 cheaper that the 6, and the 6 is heavy on data, and I only have 2GB to use. I'm on the Loyalty plan, $60 a month, unlimited text to anyone, any network, plus it'll work in Canada. However, I can't up my data to 4GB or higher.

You may commence to spanking me now.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Well, I went and did it....

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:06 pm

I forgot to mention, I pay for the phone monthly, rather than a huge subsidized price.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:34 am

No "spanking" required! Your choice, your preference. Maybe a better deal than a new version. Have seen news items about some serious "bugs" with the latest iteration of the iPhone 6 and similar.
Being bound by a contract may have its setbacks. Yet sometimes better than an open-ended agreement, where you get hit with huge fees if beyond feature limits!
I have had an AT&T cell phone for more than 10 years. 400 'daytime' plus 700 'night and weekend' minutes per month for about $62.00 monthly. Rollover minutes, roadside assistance, and if within range of U.S. tower, service across the borders. But no text feature or camera on the phone. Was thinking (reason for smoky smell!) about upgrading to a smart phone. Maybe.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:53 am

Given the uproar about IOS8, PLEASE wait with upgrading your iPhone to that. It will break many things I hear, latest to fall short is bluetooth...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:50 am

only 20 bucks less expensive? that's not much of a break compared to the new version.

fussnfeathers wrote:I forgot to mention, I pay for the phone monthly, rather than a huge subsidized price.

or maybe over time gives you the bigger break?
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Mr T » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:00 pm

On iOS8 now (or iOS8.02), no issues yet... iPhone is just another handset, just a bit expensive... Looking at a windows phone next, Android is just a bit too clunky...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:05 pm

I do have iOS8.0.2 now, and there's no issues. However, the initial upgrade that needed to be done first, 8.0.1, was the version that broke quite a bit, at least in warning messages. The immediate upgrade to 8.0.2 fixes all the issues.

I did find out an interesting fact about my loyalty plan. It's a one year contract, BUT after that year, I'm month to month with no contract required, meaning I could drop them anytime I want. Nice.

The main reason for not going with the 6 is physical problems and availability. I'll wait until iPhone 7 comes out, or go back to Android. It was just a simple matter of function over form, and boredom with Android, having been a user since Donut. That's a long time. Plus, I wanted to see what the commotion was all about, and the sheer loyalty. After two weeks with the phone, I gotta say it's pretty slick, and does indeed beat some of the Android phones in matter of quality of build. The OS is very well done, polished and smooth. Now, if they got the same battery power as my old Motorola Droid MAXX I'd be as happy as a clam.

The new iPhone has a nasty reputation of bending.....so I stayed away for now. And that $20 a month adds up. For one year I'm saving $240 with the 5s, a pretty hefty amount. Personally, I wouldn't even have a cell if I weren't disabled. I need to have one on me in case of emergency, so I might as well get a good smartphone.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Just my 2 cents here.

Well from what I have read yes Apple is big and yes their products are good and popular but they are also very proprietary to say the least. When it comes to smart phones Samsung has the iphone beat by a mile in most all areas including sales IMO.

I have an ipad air and love it but I do see its limitations as compared to a Windows based tablet.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:49 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:No "spanking" required! Your choice, your preference. Maybe a better deal than a new version. Have seen news items about some serious "bugs" with the latest iteration of the iPhone 6 and similar.
Being bound by a contract may have its setbacks. Yet sometimes better than an open-ended agreement, where you get hit with huge fees if beyond feature limits!
I have had an AT&T cell phone for more than 10 years. 400 'daytime' plus 700 'night and weekend' minutes per month for about $62.00 monthly. Rollover minutes, roadside assistance, and if within range of U.S. tower, service across the borders. But no text feature or camera on the phone. Was thinking (reason for smoky smell!) about upgrading to a smart phone. Maybe.

Last year I bought my first smart phone a Samsung S4. This was phone was very nice with an absolutely beautiful robust looking display. I used it for a week or so and did like it a lot but I said to myself why did I buy this? I don't text, don't play any games, don't listen to music, don't send that many emails of browse that much why pay all that money if I am not going to use most of the phones features. I took it back a bought another dumb phone. I do kind of miss the GPS with map on the smart phone though. One can buy a Garmin 3597 GPS which is top of the line last I heard which runs about $350 after tax which I am considering????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to The Water Cooler