Mobo gone, need new one and possibly new cpu

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Mobo gone, need new one and possibly new cpu

Postby ook » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:00 am

Hi there everyone!
During the monthly cleaning of my pc with an air compressor i accidentally bumped the case and my motherboard hasn't survived the 1 foot high fall. I'm 100% positive it's the mobo since I've already checked the psu and video card at a friend's.
I now need a new motherboard (thus most likely a new cpu, mine is really date) and I've really no idea what to buy since I'm not at all in step with the latest mobos and cpus.

My current specs:
-PSU 700W
-Mobo [S]Mobo M3A32-MVP[/S] deceased
-[/S]AMD Phenom 9650 2,31Ghz quad-core[/S]
-2x4 gb ram ddr2 Hyperx KHX6400D2K2 (tot 8)
-Sapphire HD 7850 2gb

Aside from the video card the machine was really old but it was good enough for me since it ran last gen games at a medium-high quality with no problem (I was very cpu limited thought).

My budget : +/- 200 euro (260$)
Use: Gaming mostly, CAD rendering occasionally

I'm also getting from a friend an ASROCK H77M-ITX with it's mini case since he has no need for it, and i was wondering if i could use the spares, namely my old phenom processor, with this mobo to build a media center on the cheap for my parents to use. Would it even work with that processor? And would I need to add a video card (it says -no video chipset on board- but has an hdmi and vga output :roll: ) ?

Thanks a lot , any tip welcome :)
ook
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Mobo gone, need new one and possibly new cpu

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:30 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
A one-foot fall should not cause a casualty. Ten feet, more likely.
Just how much "damage" was done to the motherboard and components? If the case was severely warped, possibly the motherboard is cracked.. and useless. But hope for the best. May just need a rebuild in another case. Might only have been dislodged components.
The hard drive is the main issue.. it may have suffered damage in the fall. Hope not. But test as a secondary or slave in another system.. don't attempt to boot from it.
Would be advisable to get an exact replacement motherboard, so the OS doesn't balk at finding different features. Unless you plan to do a complete new install.

Post your "want list" and let the pros give their thoughts.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:35 pm

The H77 motherboard supports CPU's on the 1155 socket type, definitley no AMD there...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby ook » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:13 am

Hi again and thanks for the welcome!
It indeed was a one-foot fall from the large vase I use as a support when cleaning the inside of the case with my compressor. The pc basically fell to the ground front panel first and then a bit to the side while I was attempting an emergency save with the leg :lol: one 1tb blue caviar that was loosely lodged actually got catapulted out, it may have broken but it's no matter, I backup regularly and a format+ clean install of the Os wouldn't be a problem.
No component received any visible damage, all pins and connectors also seem to be where they are supposed to. Disassembling and reconnecting everything made no difference.

The pc does turn on and appears to be booting; although it does all the usual sounds when turned on the display gets no signal. I ruled out the psu and the video card since i've tested them successfully on another system. I think the mobo is the problem, I wouldn't know otherwise.
Would a photo of said mobo in its actual status be of any use?
ook
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Suggestion before going the replacement route:
Disassemble the system. Take out all the device cards and memory, then the motherboard. Check that the cooling fan and heat sink are properly fastened to the CPU. Take that apart too, if not sure. If done, then replace the heat sink paste with new after removing all the old residue with denatured alcohol. A tiny amount of heat sink paste is all you need, spread evenly on the top of the CPU cover.
Then put it back together and fire up. Ensure all power leads are connected properly.
It is possible some stray bit of hardware may have lodged under the motherboard.. or some device card or other removable item (memory module) could have jarred loose.
If after this process and still no joy, then it is likely the motherboard is damaged. In cases like this, it is great to have a POST diagnostics card. It displays two characters for each of the pre-boot process. If a character set hangs, then reference it to a probable cause.
If the hard drive was not operating at the time of the "crash", it may still be good. But may have lost five of its nine lives!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:37 pm

replace the CMOS CR2032 coin cell battery as well. the symptoms sound like a dead battery. coincidence? yeah, Murphy.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ook » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:06 am

Ok I've tried disassembling and unscrewing everything, laying everything on a clean surface, dusting and cleaning all slots and contacts, removing and replacing the calcified thermal paste, replacing the 2032 battery, rebooting aaaaaaaaaand.....
Nuthin'

I think it's safe to assume now that the mobo is gone for good PDT_Armataz_01_10 It was worth trying everything though, I've learned something for the future :wink:

Life goes on and I need a replacement asap (the old laptop i plugged my display to really isn't cutting it). While awaiting for my posts to be approved here i searched here and there, asked in some Q&A sections to gather some ideas of what to buy.
I realize now the initial budget of 200 euro I specified in my opening post is ridiculously low, 300-350 is more likely the sum I'll end up spending.
Also i told my friend to keep his ASROCK H77M-ITX, really not what I'm looking for.
My ddr2 ram is also now good for ebay only.

I thus now have a 300-350 euros budget to buy:

-8-16 gb ddr3 ram
-a motherboard
-a new cpu

What would you suggest?

Also, I'm haggling for this 1.5 year old system, which the owner would like to sell at the shown prices:

i7 3770k 200 euro
p8z77-v 90 euro
4x4gb (16) ddr3 ram corsair vengeance 100 euro

would it be a valid alternative to buying new?
ook
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:13 am

Sorry to hear your motherboard is DOA. Finding a similar model would cut your costs for a rebuild.
Buying "pre-owned" can be a great budget ally, but what guarantee do we get with any such deal?
Used vehicles, some other items are required to have a warranty or other guarantee as to worthiness. Or are "as-is".
But electronics are mostly outside of this class. But if a person you know has not abused the item, it may be a great deal.
It may be worthwhile to browse the New Egg 'bare bones' kits and 'open box' specials. Some offers are almost complete, except for the OS or other minor item. www.newegg.com/
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ook » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:35 am

Finding a replacement wouldn't be so simple, that mobo is already quite hard to find, and models still in working conditions sell for as high as 100$.
About second hand stuff...i have to agree, the price isn't that good either. The ram though...100 euro (130$ more or less) is tempting...and it shouldn't be that prone to aging as a mobo or a cpu, right?
It's this one btw, pic from the ebay listing
worth it?
Attachments
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (91.81 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
ook
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby ook » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:36 am

Finding a replacement wouldn't be so simple, that mobo is already quite hard to find, and models still in working conditions sell for as high as 100$.
About second hand stuff...i have to agree, the price isn't that good either. The ram though...100 euro (130$ more or less) is tempting...and it shouldn't be that prone to aging as a mobo or a cpu, right?
It's this one btw, pic from the ebay listing
worth it?
Attachments
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (91.81 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
ook
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Recommendations