Access Point/Wi-Fi Extender

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Access Point/Wi-Fi Extender

Postby Mark H » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:17 pm

Modem and router (WRT54GL) are in room at rear of house, lappys and WI-fi blu ray are in the front. I get a fair signal, and would prefer a stronger one, as cell reception inside is extremely poor. We have to use WI-fi-calling on the cells, and sometimes that is iffy.

Looking for a good, somewhat inexpensive, access point/extender that will connect wirelessly to the Linksys router. I know, it's old, but running well. I could be persuaded to upgrade to "n" if that would improve signal strength.

Any thoughts on what will work?
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: Access Point/Wi-Fi Extender

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:36 am

There are many "boosters" for Wi-Fi. All they do is increase output power to maybe 1/2 watt instead of 1/10th watt.
But first ensure your signal is not compromised by reflections or interference from other devices that use the same RF band.
Cell phones, remote controls, even microwave ovens can cause interference. And other nearby users can affect your signal purity. So too if too many devices share your guarded spectrum. Maximum default distance for the best signal ranges from about 50 feet to maybe 100 feet. Depends on obstructions and building materials. If your wireless hub is a bit higher than all other devices, then it should be near optimum performance. No reflective (metallic) surfaces within about two feet of the antenna plane (radiation field).
This link may be of interest.. http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetArticl ... onverted=0
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:52 am

Thanks Karl, I'm wondering if a firmware update may solve the issue. Either from Linksys, or maybe dd-wrt. I have not updated the firmware since I bought it.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Roach412 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:01 am

have you thought about using a powerline adapter to run another router on the other side of the house?

i have my modem in my basement(far east side of the house under the bedroom w/googleTV box) - plugged into the utility outlet near the power box. then, a second powerline plugged into an outlet in More Spam Vomit closet on the opposite side of the house, running ethernet to a second router (close to my upstairs living room w/ another googleTV box as well as my XBOX back down in the basement underneath). get great reception everywhere now and the speeds are 15-20 times faster.

i got this kit on sale for like $30 - one of the best 30 bucks i spent in a while:
NETGEAR Powerline AV+ 200 Mbps Nano Kit (XAVB1601)

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:03 pm

I recently turned an old WRT54G into a wifi repeater. Its re-broadcasting my signal from my Asus wireless connection.
Check this site out:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Your wifi router, once re-flashed with the new firmware, will connect wirelessly and re-broadcast wirelessly as well.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:35 pm

the dd-wrt firmware will also allow you to up the signal output from the router in the first place, you may not even need the repeater after you have turned the dial to 11.

note: the original power bricks on these things seems to suffer from bad capacitors so, if after the tune-up you have random losses of signal when doing large downloads: that's the culprit.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:22 am

Probably wait til payday to flash, just in case.....
Thanks for the info.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mark H » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Easiest way might be to to just buy a new one. found This one. Might just do the trick, and my 2 newest toys have "n" adapters.

*Edit*
The E2500 did not work as I had hoped, actually has weaker signal. changing orientation and channel made no difference. Going back. Major problem is, the router is in our home office, and having 3 nosy cats, we keep the door closed. Might try an extender and see if that helps.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mark H » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:55 am

Got a free wireless "Cell Spot" from my carrier, and has a stronger signal than the old router. Actually a re-branded ASUS RT-AC68U wireless router. Setup was fairly easy, and also has 2 USB ports, which I will be moving my 2 printers to. (Has a built in print server) this will allow me to power down the 2 boxes I don't currently use and save a few bucks on power.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Networking