Help anyone? In need of a motherboard for a Sun Anylizer

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Help anyone? In need of a motherboard for a Sun Anylizer

Postby cowrider » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:33 pm

I bought a Sun Machine 500 from the school system here. When I got it home I figured to clean it up a bit before firing it up, good thing I waited or I sure would have had a barbeque going. This is what I found when I opened it up, emptied it a bit and the part number. Does anyone know what these may have been used in, Gateway, Dell? I found one on ebay but it was more that I paided for the whole machine. Not sure if I can use a newer board, think it best to stay close to what it had. I still need to check the hard drive to see if it is ok.
Attachments
taken apart 37b.JPG
mb number
taken apart 37b.JPG (224.23 KiB) Viewed 903 times
taken apart 23b.JPG
Cleaned a bit
taken apart 23b.JPG (208.08 KiB) Viewed 903 times
taken apart 05a.JPG
What I found
taken apart 05a.JPG (174.08 KiB) Viewed 903 times
cowrider
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Help anyone? In need of a motherboard for a Sun Anylizer

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:05 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
From the photo, looks like a common motherboard.. could be an Intel or AMD model.. possibly a 15-year old model.
Or maybe a specific design to the intent of the diagnostics machine.
Post some more info about the board.. socket type, CPU model, chipset brands.
Also post the PSU info.
There was a plague on electronics known as "bad caps", where the electrolytic caps bulged and leaked. Look over all of them, if any show signs of bulging tops, leaning excessively or leakage, they are bad. More info at http://www.badcaps.net/
Worst case, the motherboard needs replacement with a compatible one.
The original Sun company is now part of the Snap-On family. They should have an archive of the model specs and possibly spare parts. Look for a label or tag on the back or side of the cabinet, it has the model and serial no. plus other info.
From a Web search, it may be a Socket 5 motherboard. Could be a near-standard board, but the BIOS may be specially written for that service field.
After cleaning up, look for a coin-sized battery on the board. Likely it is dead, and the system won't show any life signs until you put a new one in. Typically, CR2032 is the model.. 3 volts.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:55 am

Genuine Intel motherboard, Advanced/ZE or Zappa E/Tahiti. Identified a few years ago based on the PBA 635352-105 marking

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10113

The support page is dead. Manual:
http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/I ... E_4552.pdf

If you want to pay a ridiculous price, here's on one ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-635352-10 ... 2a3bfdcdb0

Is it known what OS the software is based on? Then we could give some sort of advice on what motherboard to put in there...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cowrider » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. This uses win 95 from what I can find. The board was a socket 5. It looks like the other boards may be ok. The motherboard is toast. The caps just crumpled away. Three of the mounting screws I had to drill the heads off. Still need to see if the hard drive still has the data on it.
Attachments
motherboard 01a.JPG
cpu chip
motherboard 01a.JPG (142 KiB) Viewed 882 times
cowrider
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:20 am

While the major cause of "bad caps" was from a bad formula, excess heat is a second major cause of failing caps.
Should be many different motherboard brands that can replace the bad one. But ensure the chipsets are identical to the original. Could be two or three years difference in vintage, but chipsets and other prominent features should be matched.
Win 95 had three versions. '95, '96 and '97.. or "A", "B" and "C". The "B" or "C" versions were better. There is a limit on hard drive capacity, but partitioning should work around that limit. But 256 megs (2 x 128) of system memory should be sufficient. Single-density, non-ECC.
To test the hard drive, mount as a secondary or slave in another system. Don't attempt to boot from it! Otherwise, Windows (if the OS) may go belly-up. Possible that the OS was constrained to command-prompt mode, not the full-blown Windows mode.
Might be an autoexec.bat and config.sys file in the root of the primary partition. Don't alter them!
Good luck with your project. While modern auto diagnostics are done with the OBD-II system, some older vehicles don't have that feature.. and the only way to do diagnostics on them is with the Sun machine or hand tools and good knowledge of their "essence".
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:35 pm

Any socket 5 or socket 7 pentium motherboard that uses the Intel i430FX chipset should work properly. There's a chance you will have to reinstall the already available drivers (e.g. it will detect new hardware when you first start the system with the "new" board in there. I think Advanced/ZP boards should still plenty around, otherwise get and Advanced/EV (the successor) as it is quite similar.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cowrider » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Well I hooked up the hard drive with my usb to ide adapter and the hard drive is toast. All she does is scrape and click. I'll need to search for the software now. I did find a board and ordered it but that won't help without the software. I haven't given up yet. Let you know how it goes.
cowrider
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 am

Too bad the hard drive is useless. Scrapes and clicks denote a useless attempt at data recovery!
The software (programming) for that machine is likely specific to its use, may not be easy to find.
But try the new parent company, Snap-On.. http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnos ... ag_acc.asp
The copying or cloning of copyright programming from another machine is illegal.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations