When we dont need any wires at all.

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

When we dont need any wires at all.

Postby markirob1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:01 am

A friend told me about his broblem with his mobo's ethernet port giving some problems..and i just switched off to no wire land! How long will it be before wires not required ... I mean for everything my Hardrive, Memory,GPU even CPU Omg. When?
I took a look at it.. Its not broken now!!.. but its not fixed either!!!
markirob1
Initiate
Initiate

Re: When we dont need any wires at all.

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:37 pm

Worst part is.. light waves and radio signals only travel in straight paths.. line-of-sight. Prone to interference from like devices and reflected signals.
Doubtful there ever will be a world "without" wires! How will devices be powered? And how long before the limit of signal bands is reached? Any device today that is 'wireless' needs either an RF signal or IR signal band. Or color spectrum (visible) band.
For personal or small-group, private communications, likely no problem. But going public.. hundreds of thousands of similar devices needing the same band space.. where is your privacy? And services?
Then about telephone communications.. band space for cell phones is not unlimited! Same for satellite TV and other needs.
Fiber-optics is the best choice now over hard-wired connections.
Maybe "thought waves" may become useful.. but we will have to learn how to direct that to one target.
But too, how does a device get power? Batteries have limited life.. even rechargeable ones.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:11 am

to markirob1: when we figure out how to make things work without electrical energy. because until that time we need some sort of conductors.

to give you an idea: we are still using pipes for water, that system is several thousands years old...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby markirob1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:09 am

to give you an idea: we are still using pipes for water, that system is several thousands years old...

I was thinking further down the line (not wired). yes we need conductors , we have liquid conductors, the water pipes we use are better than those we used thousands of years ago. How about we use pipes of liquid conductor stuff between hardware in a box of stuff!! Just thinking out of the box. :roll:
markirob1
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:39 pm

nano-wormholes?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby markirob1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:08 am

evasive wrote:nano-wormholes?

Nano technology is pretty serious stuff. I suppose theres lots of dollers in that line of research. Has a tendancy to be based on time travel rather than linking a few bits of old fashioned pc hardware :lol: On a light note how about a few electric eels tied together. Only i havn't worked out how to join their mouths as surely would need some kind of male-male adapter :D
markirob1
Initiate
Initiate

Return to The Water Cooler