Kano Computers, what do you think?

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Kano Computers, what do you think?

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:52 am

I just seen this article about Kano Computers.

The idea behind Kano was to create a computer that’s so easy to build that an 8-year-old can do it. And then, once he’s built it, he can learn how to program it.

Take a read here: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-kano-computer-a-beginners-computer-kit-channels-96917546614.html
The product looks ok. I nice way to get kids interested into programing. It's not much of a build, but it's a start.
http://www.kano.me/

What do you all think about it? Would it be worth giving a try? Do you think this would be something schools should check into?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: Kano Computers, what do you think?

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:47 am

Good project for anyone curious about how a 'computer' works. The Arduino and Raspberry Pi are simple yet versatile.
Go back to the 1960s, computers did simple tasks.. but some were massive. And expensive. And power hungry!
With the technology available then, we sent men to the moon and back! Today's cell phones are 10x as powerful.
System memory was small.. maybe 512 KB max. All coding was input by hand, or some lucky users had an external 360 KB floppy drive. Or a data cassette drive.
The earliest "computer'" wasn't a true version.. but it did do math computations.. the Babbage Engine.
The Abacus reigned before that.. and is still used. What was old is now new again?
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Kano Computers, what do you think?

Postby evasive » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:08 am

It looks like they may have got it right. I think I would buy one. no need to collect a compatible keyboard, figure out how to put linux on the stick to make it run with the Pi and so on. Worth the money? Check what each component would cost you and then think if the additional $$$ are worth the time you would need to spend on collecting/configuring it yourself.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Water Cooler