XP... cloning and activation.

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

XP... cloning and activation.

Postby Tommy in Scotland » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:55 pm

I have recently acquired a PC with a fully activated copy of Windows XP. However, HDD Life indicates that the main hard drive is declining in health and efficiency and may soon need to be replaced. I would like to use Easeus Disk Copy 2.3 to clone the entire drive. However, I want to know, will Windows XP then revert to an unactivated status and require reactivating?
Tommy.
Tommy in Scotland
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: XP... cloning and activation.

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:12 pm

If just the hard drive is replaced, Win XP should have no issues with reactivation.
But the cloning program must do more than just clone all files to a new drive. The new drive has to be bootable. Any partitions on the old drive must also be replicated. If the new drive is larger, then partitions are resized accordingly.
Several programs available for this task. Acronis Migrate Easy® from http://www.acronis.com/en-us/homecomput ... nsfer-hdd/ is not expensive. More expensive is the Laplink Easy Transfer® program recommended by Microsoft®.. http://ww2.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmover_ppc/index.html
Hopefully, your program choice should do the complete job.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tommy in Scotland » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:39 pm

If I buy a larger hard drive and select "clone entire drive", then the entire source drive, complete with boot sector, will be replicated, but not resized. This means if I buy a 250GB drive, my existing 80GB drive will be cloned as a bootable 80GB partition on the 250GB drive, leaving 170GB unpartitioned and unformatted. However, Windows will determine that the drive is not the same make and has a different serial number. This is where I was most concerned.
Tommy.
Tommy in Scotland
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Mr T » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:41 am

Done this many times and windows won't need reactivating. I stopped using software cloning as it tied PC's up and was really slow.. used one of these

Image Cost around £30 and saves a load of time.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:24 am

If the cloning software is properly formulated, then if only one partition on an existing smaller drive, there will be an accordingly larger partition on the new, larger drive. Simply put, that 80 GB drive will now be a 250 GB drive.. as to your concern. Being a larger secondary drive, there may be acceptance problems to older BIOS versions as to cylinder count. But only if a stand-alone drive. If a hard drive has its primary partition within BIOS limits, secondary partitions on that drive can be larger than the BIOS limits. If it was not originally bootable, that will be the case of the replacement drive. Cloned exactly, to the last bit or byte. But larger in storage capacity.

Depending on the amount of data to be cloned, indeed it could take several hours to finish!
Mr. T does have a nice alternative.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tommy in Scotland » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:40 pm

With Easeus Disk Copy, the 80GB drive would clone as an 80GB bootable partition, the remainder of the new drive being available to format as a separate partition. It is slow yes but not too slow to be usable. I can start it cloning before I go to work then come home to find it ready to transfer.
Tommy.
Tommy in Scotland
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:29 pm

In perusing both 'freeware' versions of the Easeus Disk Copy 2.3, no notation about auto-resizing of partitions.. only a 1:1 result. Sounds like a lot of work to clone that drive to another, with only the same amount of data space.
If you have salvaged all files available from that drive, backed up, why not just install the new drive in its host, do a quick format on it with the OS Disk Manager, and then transfer all backed-up data. Should go quickly.
Otherwise, do the clone process, and use Gparted or Partition Magic to enlarge that small partition to the entire drive.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
http://partition-magic.soft32.com/free-download/
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tommy in Scotland » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:32 pm

OK Karlsweldt, but you seem to be mixing up two separate threads here! My other thread is about a 500GB secondary drive in a Windows 2000 machine, this thread is about a newly acquired computer with Windows XP. The hard drive is at 55% health according to HDDLife, and for that reason I felt it would be safest to clone it soon before it fails. I wasn't sure if cloning would set the Windows installation back to unactivated.
Tommy.
Tommy in Scotland
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Have done dozens of legit clones.. and no reactivation on the OS required. Only if major differences are found, with chipset type, features or some "new" device, would there possibly be need of a reactivation. Freeware programs may be good in their own right, but the purchased version has more features. I prefer Acronis Migrate Easy® for cloning.
Sorry if I "cross-threaded" your posts!
For that thread concerning the 80 GB drive and the 250 GB drive.. if the cloning software has been written properly, and the feature is available, then auto-resizing of the partition(s) would be done on a larger cloned drive.
Concerning that 500 GB drive on another system.. Windows 2000 is no longer honored by anti-virus and firewall programs.. or browser types. Might be different in some countries, but for the majority, obsolete. Win XP is on its way out also. No more extended support. Only the malicious software removal tool will be available.. but not for many months longer.
Reason being, thousands of point-of-sale OS types are XP-based.
If you want to clone that Win 2000 to a new drive, should be no problem. But if there is data in bad sectors, could extend the process by many hours. Been there, done that.
There are several excellent disk diagnostic programs.. the Seagate Seatools® is one, and should work any drive type or brand with no problem. Bad sectors, if not totally unreadable, can have their data moved to good ones.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:49 pm

and, same as in the other thread, my answer is gparted because you can use that to resize the partition after cloning.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems