Color vision limits..

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Color vision limits..

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:00 am

On average, humans can view up to one million different colors. But some people are tetrachromatic, being able to view several million different colors!
Many animals, birds, fish and insects have limited color recognition.. specific to their diets and life cycles. But many will have a very broad range of color recognition. Eagles are reported to have the highest color recognition range.
For humans, being "color blind" can be a serious condition. Genetic defects, infections, accidents or pathogens can damage your eyes. They are the only pair you will get. Take care of them!
In the not-so-distant future, we may be able to merge digital vision receptors to our senses, and have vision restored if lost.
Android evolution? Step aside, Asimo!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Color vision limits..

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:15 am

Being colorblind isn't entirely a drawback. A friend of mine in the army was red-green color deficient, but he could "see" camouflage. Camo is made to fool normal color perception, but color deficient types spot it readily because they see the patterns in the netting and tenting in the camo itself. I thought my friend was having me on, until I did a little research and found the military in WWII often recruited colorblind spotters for aerial reconnaissance missions, for that very reason.

But the condition also kept him out of flight school, which was his chief reason for joining the army.
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to The Water Cooler