Copying data from one PC to another

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Copying data from one PC to another

Postby ed4586 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:12 am

I have Dell laptop with Vista Home 32bit that is on it's last leg. What is the procedure to transfer all data to another Dell laptop with Vista Business 32bit...not concerned with any data on the receiving Vista Business laptop.

Thanks
ed4586
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Copying data from one PC to another

Postby Roach412 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:42 pm

are you looking at just saving some data, or transferring applications as well?

moving data can be as simple as sharing the folder locations and having the machines be on the same network - copy and paste.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Best and fastest way is with a cross-over LAN cable, direct connection. Or use regular LAN cable, and a hub or router.
This link for WIKI details how to know a cross-over LAN cable from a standard one..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
If some transferred files and folders cannot be accessed, then take "ownership" of them on the new system.
Some programs may need reactivation.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ed4586 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks...I''ll try the LAN cable route
ed4586
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:47 pm

Forgot to mention.. Windows will hide any system files, and they may not be copied over. Same for any program files that may be hidden or archived. A good program such as Total Commander from www.ghisler.com/ is not expensive, and is one of the best file manager programs available. Can be configured to show any file, regardless of attribute. Cross-platform compatible.
If you want to clone a failing hard drive to a new one, then a different program.. such as Acronis Migrate Easy from http://www.acronis.com/en-us/ is a worthy program. Laplink also has a clone program, as do other brands.
100% copy to a new drive, and made bootable.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ed4586 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:49 pm

[quote="Karlsweldt"]Forgot to mention.. Windows will hide any system files, and they may not be copied over. Same for any program files that may be hidden or archived. A good program such as [i]Total Commander[/i] from http://www.ghisler.com/ is not expensive, and is one of the best file manager programs available. Can be configured to show any file, regardless of attribute. Cross-platform compatible.
If you want to clone a failing hard drive to a new one, then a different program.. such as Acronis Migrate Easy from http://www.acronis.com/en-us/ is a worthy program. Laplink also has a clone program, as do other brands.
100% copy to a new drive, and made bootable.[/quote]

Again thanks...what I have is a failing Dell Inspiron 1525, about the 3rd hard drive, when you type the cursor jumps all over the screen (common for that unit), it's just getting slower and slower even after defrag, cleaning etc...as a matter of fact the mouse pad is almost worn through.

My wife uses it for paying bills, email and iTunes etc. The last time I installed a new hard drive I really screwed up the iTunes...got me sleeping on the couch. :D So iTunes is the priority...

I have a couple of Dell Latitudes E4300 laptops that I use to program my hotrod fuel injection computers..they are tough little laptops and I have an extra one that I just loaded Vista Business on. Figured I would transfer the programs (most importantly iTunes) to the E4300 while the Inspiron is still working & before it does the final checkout.

Ed
ed4586
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Roach412 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:37 pm

ed4586 wrote:Again thanks...what I have is a failing Dell Inspiron 1525, about the 3rd hard drive, when you type the cursor jumps all over the screen (common for that unit), it's just getting slower and slower even after defrag, cleaning etc...as a matter of fact the mouse pad is almost worn through.

My wife uses it for paying bills, email and iTunes etc. The last time I installed a new hard drive I really screwed up the iTunes...got me sleeping on the couch. :D So iTunes is the priority...

I have a couple of Dell Latitudes E4300 laptops that I use to program my hotrod fuel injection computers..they are tough little laptops and I have an extra one that I just loaded Vista Business on. Figured I would transfer the programs (most importantly iTunes) to the E4300 while the Inspiron is still working & before it does the final checkout.

Ed

if you're worried about itunes, your songs/settings/etc are all saved in the cloud. so, just install it on the other machine, sign in, and voila...should be working.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mark H » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 am

I had excellent results using Laplink PC mover when I upgraded from XP to Windows 7. Not free, but works as advertised, and the time savings not having to reinstall/reactivate programs made it worth it. Might be worth a look.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ed4586 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:50 pm

[quote="Mark H"]I had excellent results using Laplink PC mover when I upgraded from XP to Windows 7. Not free, but works as advertised, and the time savings not having to reinstall/reactivate programs made it worth it. Might be worth a look.[/quote]

Thanks..looks like it's a "one time use" license...will check it out though.
ed4586
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Operating Systems