Accessing BIOS settings page

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:22 am

Possible problem #1: The Windows 7 install disk is a DVD.. multi-layer. Won't work with older DVD or CD drives.
Possible problem #2: Some remnants of the previous OS on the hard drive. The OS will abort an install if older system files are found. Best to do a backup of the drive, then delete any existing partitions. Then start anew with none formed. Then copy over what you wanted to save.
You cannot upgrade directly from Win XP to Win 7 or Win 8. Has to be a 'new' install.

The BIOS should have a choice as to boot order. Do not use the 'network' boot path. First would be the optical drive, then the hard drive and maybe a floppy drive. Do not include all storage drives.. only the primary ones. Any other storage drive will self-ID to the BIOS. After the OS install, then have the hard drive as first choice.. then optical or other. If multiple boot paths are found, the screen should display a message.. "press any key to boot from CD-ROM [optical] drive"..

For upgrade to Win 7 or Win 8, minimum needs:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby remah » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Karlsweldt,

The spec is good enough, I took out the BIOS battery and ram and got into the BIOS setup page. It's been pointed out to me that I have been trying to boot the copy of windows 7 in the drive on the machine which unfortunatley is CD drive only. So I'm going to transfer it to a USB pen drive via the Indasy Bootable 2.0 software and try to get it into the machine that way.
remah
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:50 am

When I went to install my Win 7 on a new build, I did have a DVD R/RW capable optical drive.. but it was about 4 years old. Had no problems with playing video DVDs, or writing disks on older setup. But had to get a new DVD R/RW drive compatible to Blu Ray standards for Win 7! Prices are not that bad.. compared to years ago.
Microsoft® notes you can install Win 7 from other media sources.
But ensure the hard drive has no remnants of a previous OS.. and no partitions, except maybe the machine's setup drivers. That way, there should be a smooth install.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby remah » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:56 am

Hi guys,
Well I finally managed to get Windows 7 Home Premium installed, the main problem turned out to be the DVD drive was faulty so I changed the drive and
and it loaded up.
The problem I have know is that I can't connect to the internet as the Integrated SiS 900 LAN hasn't any drivers. I have searched for drivers for Windows 7 but can't see m to find any. It has been suggested that I install generic drivers but again all I can see to find are drivers for pci cards or for editions of Windows up to XP.
Another problem I now have is when I boot up, the boot up page stays on longer than normally then switches to another black page where I have to highlight Windows 7 Home Premium and press enter before Windows Kicks in.
It would be nice if this process could be bypassed.
Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Remah.
remah
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:56 am

It would be nice if this process could be bypassed.
Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Not to be a total ass, but build or buy a new system. If you were lucky enough to get the kinks out the the thing is going to run at a snails pace.

Like trying to run a Lincoln continental with a 4 cylinder engine. You could probably do it, but it would be slow as death.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:43 am

You could try this site for SiS drivers.. but there may be different chip types under the "900" grouping. Some search links noted the Win XP driver might work. But if not digitally signed in the expected way, might be rejected.
http://www.driverupdates.org/drivers-do ... s-drivers/

As to having to select your user icon to get Windows access, create a temporary user account. Then delete it after a restart, leaving yourself as sole user/Administrator. Then automatic access to Win 7!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:52 am

As to having to select your user icon to get Windows access, create a temporary user account. Then delete it after a restart, leaving yourself as sole user/Administrator. Then automatic access to Win 7!

Another problem I now have is when I boot up, the boot up page stays on longer than normally then switches to another black page where I have to highlight Windows 7 Home Premium and press enter before Windows Kicks in.

Sounds more like a OS/boot screen (dual boot type deal) like Linux/Windows..
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby remah » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:22 am

Karlweldt,

I searched around for drivers but to no avail so I bought a wireless dongle and everything is running fine.

Thanks everyone for you help and advice.
remah
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:54 am

Another problem I now have is when I boot up, the boot up page stays on longer than normally then switches to another black page where I have to highlight Windows 7 Home Premium and press enter before Windows Kicks in
Guess I should read more of a thread before I get the 'foot-in-mouth' reward! Image
Indeed, Toby B., it does indicate a boot menu choice issue.
There should be a boot.ini file in the root of the primary drive partition.. listing the choices and default boot option.
It can be edited from the Windows command-prompt box using the msconfig process.
The boot.ini file has a hidden/system attribute.. and privileged access restrictions.
Editing the Boot.ini file:
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to BIOS