Accessing BIOS settings page

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Accessing BIOS settings page

Postby remah » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:31 am

Hi guys,

I have just registered on the forum. I am a non too techie guy who likes to try to do things myself with a little help from around the internet. I am attempting to upgrade the OS on an old desk top but I am struggling to access the BIOS settings page.
The main board is a Phoenix Technologies Model SiS-661 Version 6.00 PG.
I have tried F2 F9 and F12 to no avail. The present OS is Windows XP.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks,
Remah
remah
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:51 pm

It's all about timing. Some Phoenix/Award bioses react to the <Delete> key at startup of the _machine_ so before anything windows is visible.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby remah » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:57 am

Hi evasive, thanks for your comment however I don't understand what you mean with "so before anything windows is visible"
Could you please expand on this statement.

Thanks
Remah
remah
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:55 am

Here's a page with a more clear explanation:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/241032/h ... _bios.html

On the subject, what are you trying to change in there?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby remah » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:17 am

Hi evasive,

I'm trying to change the OS from XP to Win 7 and following a helpers instructions he told me to go into BIOS, boot menu, select CD/DVD etc but has since told me to just put the disc in and it will load up.
remah
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:11 am

A SiS-661 chipset PC sounds like it is already quite aged ( >3 years old) and I am not too sure it will run Windows 7 at a reasonable speed. But then again, I may be surprised sometimes...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:21 am

The [delete] key is most commonly used for entering the BIOS. But the [F2] key, the [F10] key, and a combination of [ctrl-alt-enter] or [ctrl-alt-s] could also be the access mode.
To get into the BIOS, you have to do the key stroke(s) while the POST process is active.. once done, then the bootstrap or hand-over to the OS locks out the path. Get your input strokes for BIOS entry done when you see the first splash screen for system info. With some BIOS versions, there may be a prompt.
That Phoenix Technologies Model SiS-661 Version 6.00 PG. looks to be around a 2004 issue. Looks like there were some BIOS updates.. but an update would have to be for the specific system BIOS version.
On first starting, the screen will have a string of characters in the lower left corner. This is the BIOS ID, with date.
If the pause button won't hold that screen, then start up without the keyboard connected. That should keep the info present.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby remah » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:26 am

I'm told by the guy at the shop where I bought it that it will run no problem. I'm just experiencing problems installing Windows 7 because I can't load it into the machine via the BIOS page or, as suggested to boot up the machine, put in the disc and when I get the blue screen to click Install when prompted but when I put the disc in, nothing happens. Another guy has suggested using boot sequence but I am a novice and need instruction to guide me through.
remah
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Its an aged system so it might be possible for you to load Win7, there is likely no driver support.. Nor near enough RAM capability..

And judging by the fact that most newer systems mention how to access the BIOS.. You failed to mention if this was an ACER, HP, Compaq, etc..
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby remah » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 am

Hi Toby B.

The casing has a logo on it saying E.Systems.
When first switched on the same thing is displayed on the screen with the following in the bottom left of the screen :-

03/01/2006-SiS-661-6A714E1AC-OO

There are 2 X 500 DDR sticks of RAM
remah
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to BIOS