Let It Snow..

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby bdub » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:24 pm

you are wrong... I did not say skeptics should be removed from scientific discussions. I said that climate change and anti vax skeptics ARE NUTBALLS. it has already been proven of the anti-vax crowd (Jenny McCarthy, anyone?).
I guess I should preface the nutball part... maybe not all nutballs. some just have a political agenda to keep us on dirty emissions for their own profit, and they have a way of getting their message to the weak minded (as do a lot of right wing profiteers).
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Roach412 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:55 pm

there's plenty of left-wing profiteers pushing for "clean technology" agendas which are hardly clean, nor proven to work well. billions of tax dollars have been wasted on such weak-minded/ill-conceived/non-qualified programs, products and ideas.

doesn't do anything to actually fix problems...from either side of the aisle.

anti-vaccination people are stupid. straight up.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby bdub » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:47 pm

glad we could find common ground!
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
antec neo he 650r
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:24 pm

MMGW rubes blame every climate disaster on MMGW and/or George Bush.
Too much snow = MMGW
Too little snow = MMGW
Floods = MMGW
Drought = MMGW
More hurricanes = MMGW
Less hurricanes = MMGW
And now MMGW = marital indifelity
If you do not see the absurdity in this, you're just not looking.

The earth has no "normal" temperature. It generally is cooling, on a geologic time scale, but it has been warming and cooling cyclically for more than 4 billion years. The temperature changes. Will change. Ceaselessly. Forever. Nothing mankind can do will stop this. It is folly to assume otherwise.

Over the last half million years, earth has had four major glaciation cycles, with an average periodization of about 100,000 years (the so-called 100-kyr cycle). The "low ebb" of the most recent cycle occurred ~80,000 years ago. Which means that sure a G-d made little green apples, within the next 20,000 years, ice sheets hundreds to thousands of feet thick once again will crush much of northern Europe and North America, as well as parts of extreme South America. The earth will continue to do as it always have done. Nothing mankind can do will stop this. So stock up on warm socks and enjoy the heat while you can.

What does that say about concepts of a "normal" temperature, and claims that we're getting too warm ? Based on ...what ...exactly ?

CO2 is a very minor greenhouse gas. No matter how much we eliminate it, it isn't likely to reduce the planet's temperature as much as the MMGW prophets claim it has raised it. In fact, too much reduction of CO2 WILL increase the temperature, because it is essential to photosynthesis in plants. Too little CO2 will curtail vegetation. The respiration of plants is a key mechanism for humidifying the atmosphere, and water vapor is the anti-global warming gas.

Plants humidify the air. Moister air reduces the solar energy that reaches the surface of the earth. Which makes the air cooler.
Less plants = hotter air
Less CO2 = less plants
Ergo, Less CO2 = hotter air. Simple. Euclidean. Logic. But the MMGW salesmen would rather you ignore the carbon cycle. Not to mention the "islands of heat" principle.

GLOBAL WARMING: A Boon to Humans and Other Animals

There is no logical basis for the assumption that a warmer planet would serve to the detriment of mankind. This is Chicken Little nonsense. Pure, unmitigated fear-mongering. Many of the most prosperous periods for mankind occurred in concert with a warming climate. The Italian Renaissance, for example. OTOH, a cooling climate generally has the opposite effect. The Dark Ages, for instance. But there is no political leverage to be gained by proclaiming that a warmer future will improve all our lives, because then the government has nothing to save us from.

Even if MMGW were true, the danger posed buy a rising of the oceans is dramatically overblown. We're 70 years into Post-WWII industrialization, the CO2 levels are stratospheric compared to the first half of the 20th Century, yet the same old beach communities all over the world still are above the high tide mark. All the Hawaiian islands are still there. And the Caymans. Bermuda. Bikini. Truk. So if this MMGW-induced flood catastrophe is coming, it certainly is taking its own sweet time getting here.

And who's to say the loss of a few yards, or even a few hundred yards of shoreline would be devastating? It's not like we're that hard up for land. If every man, woman and child on earth today moved to Texas, it still would not break into the top 20 most densely populated 'cities' on earth. It isn't a circumstance we necessarily would wish for, but neither would mankind be doomed. And that would leave most of North America free for agriculture, as well as all of the five other inhabited continents.

Cultural chaos? Maybe. The coming of the apocalypse? Not even close.

The more the distortions and fakery and collusion committed by the proponents of alleged MMGW come to light, and the more studies that emerge supporting the axiomatic conclusion that the sun is the single most significant determinant in the Earth's temperature (Gee, the sun controls temperature? Whooda thunkit?), then the more vociferously the Bunny Huggers engage in Ad Hominem warfare against the skeptics (e.g., "deluded nutballs"), and the louder they beat their drum to have dissenting voices criminalized for their heresy.

Seems there's never a Torquemada around when you need one.

Leftists spent most of the 20th Century trying to sell mankind on Communism. They failed, and with good reason. Not ones to take defeat lightly, they simply retooled their sales pitch for the 21st Century. Now instead of proposing to save mankind from the failures of capitalism, they are offering to save us from its successes. Ins'Allah, they will fail this time, too. With good reason.

You know how you always can tell the infomercials that are the biggest rip-offs? They're the ones that tell you, "Be one of the first 20 callers..." or "Call in the next 60 minutes ...." Because they know if you take just a minute longer to think about what they're selling, you'll realize you never needed it to begin with.
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby bdub » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:48 am

this rube cites not GWB as much as the industrial revolution, which has accelerated the normal cycles to much different levels than do (or did) normally occur. carbonic acid in the oceans (as well as overall ocean temp change), and the deforestation of a large majority of this planet also has much to do with these changed cycles. no doubt there are many different outcomes of temperature change in many areas, but the lowest common denominator remains, which is man is having an effect on this world.
you can go back and live in your conspiracist bubbles all you want, but truth is the truth.
I truly believe that nothing will be done anyhow, so why even bother arguing? denialists can just say "MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!!!", and the conversation goes away.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
antec neo he 650r
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:41 pm

More evidence of MMGW:

DNR Warden Spots Icebergs On Lake Superior
June 7, 2014 12:43 PM
-- Campy

BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Roach412 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:50 am

BrevCampagnolo wrote:More evidence of MMGW:

DNR Warden Spots Icebergs On Lake Superior

it's still chilly in wisconsin. super icy/snowy winter, and we've had one of the slowest, coldest and wettest springs i can remember.

surprised they could even see the iceburg through the haze of mosquitos running rampant in the north......... :lol:

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby bdub » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:21 am

you put your hand around an ice cube... what happens?
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
antec neo he 650r
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:32 am

Climate McCarthyism claims yet another victim
If people ever say that fears of censorship for 'climate change' views are overblown, have them take a look at this: Just two days after I published a piece in the Wall Street Journal calling for Africa to be allowed the 'all of the above' energy strategy we have in the U.S., the Institute for Policy Studies terminated my 23-year relationship with them…because my analysis and theirs 'diverge.'
-- Campy

BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Gonna move this to the hundred year war. Getting a bit too heated for here....
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War