Ububtu Issues

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Ububtu Issues

Postby Mark H » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Finally got the Presario restored, and installed Ubuntu alongside Windows. The issues I have, are: Video jumping/rolling when using touchpad,and when I open a window, nothing shows. Both issues I believe are driver related, but with nothing showing in the open window, updating drivers is impossible. I tried rebooting, and instead of an empty window, garbled text appeared.

Another serious issue is, I could not boot into Windows using Grub. Both the Windows partition and recovery partition are visible. If I try to boot to Windows, Ubuntu loads.

FWIW, running Ubuntu as a live cd, all is good, except wireless, but wired works fine.
Had the same issues with Mint.

Restored back to factory.

I really would like to play with Linux.......

System: Compaq Presario CQ60-215DX.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:13 am

Windows and Linux may use the same hardware, but drivers and software are different. The hard drive setup is different also. Linux is more congenial to other OS versions, but Windows would rather "rule the roost".
As always, proper drivers for the hardware and OS give the desired performance.
Here are some related links, in a search for Linux drivers for Presario CQ60-215DX..
http://www.linlap.com/hp-compaq_presario_cq60
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175482414/
http://www.driverssoftwareupdates.com/p ... ok_pc.html
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:35 am

Follow this:

Linky...

And near the bottom is a link to this:

Linky which should resolve...

I stopped experimenting with different partitions containing operating systems as messing about eventually hosed something that involved faffing with a complete reinstall!!

If you have a spare hard drive, swap the drive out and install the latest flavour of ubuntu, it should work with no issues apart from possibly the wifi switch... This then keeps windows nice and secure away from being hosed by GRUB..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Mark H » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:44 am

I do have a spare laptop drive. It's my old one from the SSD upgrade. Might just give it a try.

Then again, I also have a good backup image.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:48 am

For installing Windows 7 along with Ubuntu, it is advised to install Windows first.. then Ubuntu. During the install, partition the hard drive to provide adequate space for both systems. Ubuntu will require a lot less "pasture" than Windows! But don't format that Ubuntu partition in NTFS.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
First priority is to backup your drive.. so you don't have to worry about hair transplants! Image
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Decided to install Ubuntu alone on the drive. Still have a good image and restore disks.

Install went well, a few minor driver issues, but easily fixed. No more video issues or wireless problems as noted in the original post. The fun part will be joining my home network, and accessing shared printers. As I understand from looking on the web, joining a Windows network requires some command line work.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:07 pm

Simples.. Just make sure all are on the same workgroup and you have enabled file and print sharing... If you want video/music sharing, I highly recommend PLEX media server as it crosses all platforms and is free.. VLC is the best media player...
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Mark H » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Made good progress, installed Samba, and still had issues. Ubuntu could see the Windows network, but not connect. After some searching, I went to the Windows Firewall, and under "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall" I ticked "Netlogon Service" and Viola, all workgroup pcs are visable.
I can only access shares on the pc I made changes to, but am on the right track.

Windows PC still cannot see the Ubuntu laptop. I checked the status of the Ubuntu firewall, and shows inactive.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:10 am

Ahh, the joys of networking windows... I usually have the opposite.. I can get on Ubuntu from windows, but not windows from ubuntu.... I have got round all of the pain in the arse windows bull, by running two NAS servers -1) Synology Diskstation - expensive but really effective on serving
-2) Open Media Vault... Cheap, cheerful and free. Will run off most hardware , bit compliacted for a novice to set up, but once going is a really good operating system.

The main reason I have moved to NAS servers is NTFS is a very poor file system for networking, probably due to security. EXT3 or EXT4 are a lot better and far easier to work with.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Operating Systems