Windows 7 Freezes after install on formatted HD

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:38 am

Ensure you give at least 1/2 hour unpowered before opening the PSU! And those large heat sinks also are a shock hazard. Use a length of bare wire from the case to the heat sinks and the tops of those large capacitors to ensure they are at zero voltage.
If any capacitors, even the smallest ones, show domed tops or excess leaning, they are bad. Doesn't pay to repair a PSU. Regulation may not be the same. Get a trusted name, top quality, with more power than needed. It will last longer, and have better regulation. A PSU will never "push" more power to a mobo.. only provide what is needed.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby 98xlt98 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Took cover off of PSU. All capacitors looked good at the the top and bottom. The only few leaners were the real small capacitors, and to me it looked like that was the way it was assembled.

I do not have a new 450 watt PSU right now.

Wondering what I should do next with this formatted HD that only has this freezing Windows 7 64 bit OS and Norton antivirus.
98xlt98
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:45 am

Some smaller capacitors may not be flush with the board. No real weight, so no need for support other than the leads. But even if no outward signs of failure, internal damage may be in progress.
If your system does run but freezes, put it back together or "breadboard" it and do a voltage check at the main ATX power connection. All voltages should be within +/- 2%, 1% is ideal. The -12 volt source could be off by 3% and still be good.
Use only a digital multimeter, to measure voltages from a common black lead. This avoids loading the source and gives an accurate reading.
One lead on the ATX power plug is violet.. will always have +5 volts on it, even when the PSU is not working. That is the 'standby' power for USB ports and BIOS needs. A gray lead is the PG or 'power good' lead, and should have +5 volts after the PSU load has stabilized, which signals the mobo circuits to become active. Much lower than 4.8 volts, and the mobo may not show life signs. Another lead, green, is the control for the PSU operation. Should be near zero volts when the mobo and PSU is active.
For reference to what each PSU lead is, check this link.. http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:50 am

The video card capacitors were constructed similar to the ones in your pics on bad capacitors. There were two caps that appeared to have a slightly bulging top.

Do you have a spare video card to try? Also, try installing the original RAM sticks again, and see if anything changes.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Previous

Return to Operating Systems