Windows 7 Freezes after install on formatted HD

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 7 Freezes after install on formatted HD

Postby 98xlt98 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:21 pm

PC is 7 years old. Always worked fine with XP. Decided to install Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. Microsoft's website said my PC should be OK for 7.

Formatted the drive during the install, but the problem is it will freeze constantly. Either while starting or just being online. The only other software installed now is Norton antivirus.

PC details:
Gigabyte EP35-DS3R motherboard
Intel E2200 Dual-core processor
250GB Seagate SATA HDD
7300GS video card (256MB)

The motherboard originally had 2 sticks of 1GB of RAM. I have removed those and installed 4 sticks for a total of 8GB (max allowed per Gigabyte). "My Computer" recognizes the 8GB.

Microsoft's support suggested the F8 key to access the "Repair your computer", but this did nothing. The arrow keys did not move the highlighted text, maybe it was frozen?

Looking for help.
98xlt98
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu May 29, 2014 2:02 am

Windows 7 will give your system a slightly bigger load than XP. Sometimes this is enough to have components that were already marginal, fail. Please check your motherboard, video card and power supply for bad capacitors. To read what these are, see this website:

http://www.badcaps.net
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby 98xlt98 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:05 am

Looked at the motherboard, and all the capacitors looked OK visually. All capacitors also had the same type of construction.

The video card capacitors were constructed similar to the ones in your pics on bad capacitors. There were two caps that appeared to have a slightly bulging top.

The PSU is a 450 watt ANTEC. How can those caps be looked at?
98xlt98
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mark H » Thu May 29, 2014 6:02 am

The PSU is a 450 watt ANTEC. How can those caps be looked at?

Unplug the computer from the power source, and press the power button a few times to discharge remaining power in the PSU. Remove the side cover, and remove the
psu. Wait about 30 min (just to be sure, dangerous voltage is present inside)before removing psu cover. Look for bulging/leaking caps.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu May 29, 2014 6:42 am

That board should have no problems with Win 7 64-bit. Did a Web search. But ensure the proper drivers for a 64-bit OS are used. Best source would be Gigabyte. Ensure the memory modules are a matched set, preferably 'premium' grade.
Capacitors only show bad signs in later stages of failing. Usually, the top will become domed.. or the rubber plug at the bottom swells. But internally, the failure has begun before external signs. Certain brands are most notorious.
The site www.badcaps.net/ has a hot link on its page noting most of the "bad" branded caps. If any are found on your board or other devices, the damage may already be done. Been there, been "bitten".
Yes, treat a PSU innards with great respect!!! Two large capacitors on the AC input side can store up to 350 volts DC (220 volt models). Deadly, if you get a shock across the heart. Good advise to wait, Mark H.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu May 29, 2014 12:43 pm

If that is a "SmartPower" Antec then there is a good chance there's Fuhjyyu cr*p caps in there which spell Trouble...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby 98xlt98 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:15 am

It is a "smart" model PSU, so I will try to look at those capacitors. But first I will update the drivers for the MB.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
98xlt98
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby 98xlt98 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Updated the MB drivers, no improvement!

Tried to also run some type of analyzer software while at the Gigabyte site, but it would not start properly. The site said something about active-x controls and IE 6.0 or greater. Windows 7 with the updates has me using IE 11.....

Do you think I should update the MB BIOS?

I did look at the Event Viewer and found many red errors. Here is a list of all of the event ID's, many were repeated in the past 10 days. Event ID # 4107, 11, 12, 10010, 1000, 7034, 7023, 20, 6008 and 1101.

I did use the link to view the ID descriptions, but have not acted on anything.
98xlt98
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:34 am

I think BEFORE anything else, you should try a different known good power supply. Flashing your bios with an unstable power supply in your system is asking for trouble. Been there, done that.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby 98xlt98 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:48 pm

I will remove the PSU first and look at the capacitors.
98xlt98
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Operating Systems