Compaq Presario Recovery files

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Compaq Presario Recovery files

Postby Mark H » Fri May 23, 2014 5:47 am

Presario CQ-60 215DX

While playing with some Linux distros in a dual boot (Win/Linux) scenario, I wound up hosing the Vista install, and the backup image was corrupted.Original restore disks went missing. I was able to download and install Vista from an ISO with no problem until I tried to activate. Apparently, the ISO is a retail version, and I have an OEM version.
I tried to locate the HP recovery files, but HP no longer offers them on this model. Web search also is no help.

If anyone has, or knows where I can find these, I can provide the unit serial number via email or PM.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 23, 2014 6:23 am

Should be a hidden partition on the hard drive, maybe 2 gigs to 6 gigs. This is the driver/recovery data. You may be able to access it if slaved in another system, and extract the data. But as to the COA info, that is on a tag on the bottom or back of the unit.
You should be able to get needed drivers from this site.. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... ct=3860070
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Fri May 23, 2014 8:24 am

Sorry, forgot to mention, during the attempted image restore, the recovery partition was deleted. What really messed me up, was the Linux partitions.When I deleted them, the recovery partition was also deleted.I know, you don't have to say it. .....
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Fri May 23, 2014 10:09 am

The question I would ask is do you need M$ windows... I have been messing with Linux for a while and can do 99% of the things my windows systems do on Linux...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Toby B. » Fri May 23, 2014 10:14 am

Possibly hunting flea-bay (aka ebay) you can locate recovery discs, but might run into the same sort of activation problems as the keycode will already have been used (I have not encountered a keycode screen on an HP/Compaq recovery before)
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Fri May 23, 2014 11:27 am

Mr T -tried 2 distros (Ubuntu and Mint), both had serious video isues. Tried to restore and try again.Laptop is an extra, so not really needed, which is why I decided to experiment.

Toby- as long as the recovery disks are for the same model, I shouldn't have any issues.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Toby B. » Fri May 23, 2014 12:11 pm

Toby- as long as the recovery disks are for the same model, I shouldn't have any issues.

And had I not put that in there you might have gotten said discs and run into a problem, then getting huffy at me for suggesting it.. You are correct you shouldn't have any issues, but there is always the off chance, all I was getting at.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Fri May 23, 2014 1:35 pm

No, no would not have gotten huffy, I understand the risk. After all, it's my fault for not verifying the backup in the first place.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Fri May 23, 2014 9:28 pm

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Sat May 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Evasive, the "Official One" no longer has DVDs available. I went with the other one. Should complete downloading sometime next week.....D*mn downloaders.......

Tried a few other sites, and had so many popups I had to run scans to look for nasties.

Let ya know if it works.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to Operating Systems