Windows XP updates

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Thu May 08, 2014 12:01 pm

I didn't mention this earlier because I didn't want to sound like an anal pr1ck (again), but I just ran into a real-world example of what I was going to write.

RE: the OP, some .Net applications are written for a specific version of .Net. And Micro$loth, in its infinite wisdom, did not require that each subsequent version of .Net be backwards-compatible. So although I had .Net v3.5&4 installed on Win8.1, in order to install SyncToys (which I needed because M$ has done horrid things to NTBackup), I had to install .Net v.2&3 (because M$ no longer distributes v.2 by itself).

So it's not like you can't reinstall the older version(s) should the need arise, I just thought I should mention it because I hadn't yet taken M$'s name in vain today.

I ask you, ...is this any way to run an airline?
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Fri May 09, 2014 1:46 am

It could be worse, having to install .NET 1.1 to make something work again. That stuff is not officially supported on windows 7, yet there's companies out there writing NEW software that is using it. Still.

If you install the .NET 3.5 SP1 client software you will get 3.0 and 2.0 in free BTW.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Operating Systems