what the...? Drive renamed amd inaccessible

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

what the...? Drive renamed amd inaccessible

Postby lannaheim » Fri May 02, 2014 3:54 pm

It says "Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010 (protected)."

Shows the 2 Tera as full which it was not, and it is "protected" and I have tried all manner of the obvious stuff, but in Disk Management the drive appears as unallocated space. Anyone seen this before?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

A member of Folding Team number 33258 for a cure for PARKINSONS DISEASE
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat May 03, 2014 6:19 am

Can you boot to the OS install disk, and access the drive?
Check the partitioning setup.
Try slaving the drive in another identical OS setup, to see if you have access.
If Internet Explorer was in use, MS recently issued a security patch to avert hijacking of the OS.. including OS versions back to Win XP! ( KB2964358 )
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Tue May 06, 2014 8:32 am

I think what this is stems from this...
http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-of ... ected.html
not sure if it's a tricky virus type thing, or it could be attaching a drive letter to the larger than two TB drive which you initialized MBR instead of GPT.
if the 4TB drive cannot be blown away and initialized GPT, you may need some advanced form of killdisk or something to do the job.

the thing to remember is MBR is limited to default formatting of 2 TB or less. so anything like fancy raid arrays that show up as more than 2TB, they need to be GPT, just like big HDD's do.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Mark H » Tue May 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Found This.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby lannaheim » Tue May 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks, but the drive, with or without the new 4 T installed, simply refuses to yield up any data. It wants to be formatted. I don't know what this 4 year old message does to help --

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/offi ... 683d1a0cdd

Q drive stuff had to do with it, as mine was named Q for several months now. Who can keep up with all the stuff out there? Before this I had never heard of a click-to-run Micro$oft thing. And to arbitrarily name it the Q drive! Yes, I still have my perfectly functioning C drive. Karlsweldt, I have done most of that except slaving in another PC -- it wasn't irreplaceable, just annoying. Anyway, this was Win 7, a third drive (yes, I have a Corsair 750 W PSU); I took out one drive an added a new 4 Tera. Formatted correctly. It worked fine. Perhaps this was just a freak or an anomaly. Coincidence. After all, it had been working fine for a week.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby lannaheim » Tue May 06, 2014 1:36 pm

Tony H -- very interesting, and I already located these pages (I was going nuts!). But alas, they don't apply. This thing took over my entire 2 Tera Q drive (Q for Quisling), and then made it inaccessible. None of the data which was on it is available. I tried EaseUs Recovery and it couldn't see a single thing. I am frustrated, pissed off, annoyed,and slowly becoming resigned to it. I was here at the computer when it happened, so it wasn't as if some external force took place -- it just was copying away from drive R to drive Q and then -- phht, nothing.
--- Groucho Marx

lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby lannaheim » Tue May 06, 2014 7:51 pm

BAH -- reformatting.
--- Groucho Marx

lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed May 07, 2014 5:54 am

MSO has a nasty habit of creating zero-length files called "MScreate.dir" for every associated process that it can work with. Each of these zero-length files takes up 512 kb of disk space! Create several hundred of them, and a hard drive may appear "full" but there is no data!
The intent of slaving the drive into another system with identical OS setup is that the slaved drive will have inactive viral signs, which can be easily eradicated by the active OS.. without much fear of a transition to the 'good' drive.
Some viral types are very stealthy.. and cloak their presence well.

Sorry to hear you had to reformat. Hours wasted doing that!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General