Windows XP updates

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP updates

Postby cw4cam » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:29 am

I have windows xp pro on this computer. I am running out of hard drive space. I have deleted a bunch of programs I didn't use but there are these,
ms .net framework 2.0 sp2
ms .net framework 3.0 sp2
ms .net framework 3.5 sp1
ms .net framework client profile
ms .net framework extended.
Some of these updates are huge, one is 400meg.
Can I delete any of these and not suffer???
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Mr T » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:58 pm

Yes you can, however some programs rely on them ie ATI Catalyst driver is one.. If you want less hassle on a windows system they are best left alone.. If you are running out of space, back your documents/photos and the like up to another drive. Run disk clean up and defrag the hard drive.. It is also worthwhile deleting all the items in the windows prefetch folder (no detriment). Bear in mind that due to large hard drive sizes available quite cheaply, M$ files are bigger, media files are bigger (for HD) and browsers have a bigger footprint to account for this...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:50 am

Even if not using IE for browsing, it still collects "junk" files! Go into the Temporary Internet Files and check each sub-folder. The only file you want to keep is the desktop.ini file. All the rest are of no value. Same with the Cookies sub-folder. Any "*.txt" file can be deleted.
From the blue "e" on the desktop, choose 'properties' where you can manually delete useless files. But may not be 100% effective.
Have seen "junk" files in excess of several hundred megs on some systems.
Mr T has a good point. Get a larger hard drive, partition it into two or three separate drives. Keep non-system data there, leave just the OS dependent files on the "C" drive. Any programming on a different partition will work as well as if on the primary partition.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cw4cam » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:41 pm

OK. I have run Ccleaner which should get rid of most junk. What I have is 2 sata drives in a mirror setup. I guess a bigger drive would be the solve. I could get 2 drives and install one and clone windows to that one, remove the 2 old drives, install the other new one and rebuild the mirror. I this a good way? Thanks folks. always get fixes here, most of the time by just reading. :D
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Roach412 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:11 pm

you should be able to take out one of the smaller drives, put in a bigger one, mirror from small to large, then replace the existing smaller one with another larger and re-mirror from the first large one.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:50 am

Acronis Migrate Easy is one of the better programs to ensure a 100% migration and bootable "new" drive. Acronis also has other programs, including "True Image".
Laplink also has a good program for migration to a new hard drive.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cw4cam » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Any suggestion as to brand and drive size from the brains here?
Winston Churchill

cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 am

A choice for hard drive brands and size is quite varied. Depends a lot on what the system is used for. For 'general' use, a 500 GB drive should suffice. Or max out with a 1 TB drive or two!
As to the performance factor of the drive, consider its expected life-span. Many are rated at up to 5 years or 100,000 hours MTBF (mean time between failures). Some only up to 50,000 hours MTBF or less. Solid-state drives still do not match the life span of standard hard drives.. but are improving.
For my personal use, I chose the Seagate® ES ST500NM0011 which is intended for 'extended' service. On both my older XP system and newer Win 7 system.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Mon May 05, 2014 1:10 pm

I've been futzing around with virtual OSes a lot lately, and I made a bare-bones, stripped-to-the-rails XP installation (slipstreamed with SP2). It came to a total size of 1.5 GB. Then I applied SP3 and all the available patches and IE8. No updates to .Net prior to v4, and no user applications whatsoever, no media player, no nuthin'. That brought it up to 12 GB, of which 1.5GB was page file. So the patches amounted to almost six times the volume of the bare installation.

I ask you, ...is this any way to run an airline?
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 pm

brev, run ccleaner and clean out the uninstall info for the updates, that will bring it down almost 1GB. But, I agree, if that is indeed the case, it is staggering :o
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Operating Systems