Stalling Issues

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Stalling Issues

Postby Newtman66 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 pm

I built the following PC a few years ago and recently wiped everything off the harddrive and reloaded windows
:
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard
Intel Pent 4 3.06 GHZ
Cosair Ram 4 GB DDR 2 800 Mhz
Harddrive 900 GB
Windows XP SP3

I am using the on board video and sound cards.

The issue I am having is it seems to stop /stall for 15 seconds then resumes. For example I am scrolling through my itunes music and it will stop scrolling for 15 seconds then continue scrolling. I was thinking maybe I need to upgrade to atleast Vista or maybe use separate sound and video cards but not sire. Any ideas?
Newtman66
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:17 am

Just the mouse or really stuck everything? any disk activity? High CPU usage? What have you done so far (driver updates, bios updates, windows updates, anti-malware software scans)?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:05 am

What antivirus program is in use? There is a feature called "screen scan" with most, which scans every bit of data before being displayed.. and can cause stalling of video if the file is large.
Check the Task Manager for system activity. If up around 60 active processes, the system is top-heavy.. and some programs not essential should be disabled or ended.. especially "finder" and "instant messenger" types! More than six active icons in the SysTray box, besides the date/time and speaker? That is a clue.
Using on-board video puts extra load on the CPU.. it has to render data for video as well as all other system data needs.
Having 4 GB of system memory requires a 64-bit OS platform. A 32-bit OS platform can work with up to 3.5 GB without problems.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General