Not Looking Forward To.......

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Mark H » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:20 am

Only real change will be migrating from an active OS instead of using the Windows.old folder.

Should I disconnect the drive with Win 7 before restoring the XP image on the new drive? BTW, I also did an image of Win 7 after the install.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:06 am

Both OS versions on the same drive, or different drives? If on the same drive, then certain OS association files will be written over for the newer OS.. and the older OS association files are gone.. unless you opted to keep them. Downgrading or reverting back to XP may not be an easy road.
If on different drives, then you may have a better chance of a restore.
Windows Downgrading Rights:
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:15 am

Yes, disconnect
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:47 am

Karl- separate drives. SATA controller set to boot from 1st drive only (DVD drive is first boot device).
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:27 am

evasive wrote:Yes, disconnect

Best advice! Restoring a system with two OS platforms being accessible can cause problems.
If Win XP is on the primary bootable drive, there likely is a 'boot menu' (boot.ini) file there which offers the choice of OS to boot to.. even if on separate drives. Don't alter that unless you make a backup copy! It can be edited from the Control Panel/System/Advanced/"Startup and Recovery".
Very likely, as was noted, the newer OS has overwritten some OS association files used by the older OS.. and they might not be compatible to that version. The primary or "C" drive is default for most OS programming and file association needs.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Disconnected drive with Win7 new install, and restored XP image to new drive, then did an in-place upgrade to Win7. Haven't tried to plug in old drive yet, as I have no need for it at the moment.

Having some issues with PCMover, as I had used it, then had to start from scratch. Laplink was kind enough to give me another install with my serial number (1 serial number, 1 install), but won't work. Trading e-mails with them.

Once I get things finished, I will start a new topic with the procedure I came up with.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:48 am

I have used Acronis Migrate Easy® on my system a few times.. upgrade to a larger drive only, but no change to the OS or features. No "one-time only" problem. Many programs are intended for only one use.
Sadly, Microsoft® won't permit a direct upgrade from Win XP to Win 7 or 8. A 'clean' install is preferred.. which means all your other programming must be reinstalled. The only alternative is to upgrade to Win Vista.. then to Win 7 or 8. What a hassle! Win XP to Win 7 upgrade:
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Yeah, that's why PC Mover sounded so good. Supposed to move and install programs. It actually did install Office 2003 ok, but going to look at the "Advanced" options and see if other programs will install.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mark H » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:07 am

Ended up using 2nd serial number I bought, and using the printed copy of Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser, and the "Advanced" option in PC Mover, migrated applications that were not moved using the "Standard" option.

ALL programs I moved, installed and work, with not having to re-activate, re-enter product keys, or manually re-install.

I was also able install my new video card with no issues.

I DO have an issue with shared folders being viewed from other PC's and will start a thread in Networking to address that.

Laplink PC Mover Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant does what is says it will.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:13 am

Thank you sir for reporting that one back. Having a product that does what it says on the box is not easy to come by, these days.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Operating Systems