"New" system setup..

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby evasive » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:20 am

something with firewall settings, netbios on, and all that
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:41 am

My AVG is set to 'allow all' as far as traffic, with game mode disabled. The Windows firewall is disabled. Have not gone into the white list/black list for AVG firewall, to verify other known-safe units. A few more days of tweaking should cure what is ailing. Finish line is still maybe a week off.. when it goes into semi-dedicated F@H work. More intent on getting the IRS tax package "yearly nuisance" taken care of.
Have begun to "see" other units on my network, but no access yet. Will have to check the settings.
Did a 3Dmark test.. overall rating is 49,508.. not too shabby. No intent for gaming on this system.
First concern is where the case will reside.. so it doesn't ingest its own waste hot air. Looks like a game of "rearranging".
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:24 am

Did a partial file transfer to the new system, about 40 gigs.. and still more than 30 gigs to go! Only as a 'backup'. Installed the F@H program on the new system, and gave it about 2 hours run-time. Getting a good points result, but if I go above 50% on CPU activity, the PSU exhaust gets quite warm.. and a high volume. The exhaust from the GTX280 also is a bit warm, and high volume. Will see what 'tweaks' I can do, to balance performance to wasted energy.
In checking the status of the current WU on my #1 system, I noted it had more than 20 hours beyond "deadline" time.. so shut it down. This new system will be a semi-dedicated F@H unit. No more F@H on the #1 system, would have to get a video card compatible to the newer program.
The only feature of the new F@H program with the GPU is that the system "pings" the Internet about every 2 seconds.. likely submitting data progress. Not happy about that! I don't have a data cap on my DSL service, but a lot of people do.. even with cable service.
Sorry for the mild rant! Image
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:25 am

Karlsweldt wrote:with the GPU is that the system "pings" the Internet about every 2 seconds

are you sure about this? and are you talking about version 7.3.6?
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:09 am

From further research, the CPU will still do "its thing" as before.. relenting to other data needs. But the GPU will not 'fold' unless there is no active video.. only when the screen is 'blank' or the provided screen saver is applied (video idle).
Using the F@H program 7.3.6. That "pinging" effect is indeed the system returning data packets that are complete. No running log as with the CPU folding.
So far, after about 14 hours of the new system in operation, have gained over 4,500 points and 15 added units to my score.
Running the CPU folding on 'medium' setting, allowing the GPU to its own needs. If I go higher on CPU folding, the PSU puts out a bit too much warm exhaust.
Since this case is a five-bay model with two unused 5.25" bays, I took off one of the cover plates.. so the system gets all the air it wants. Will fashion a filter from some air cell foam.. like a "scrubbie". But as to other uses on this new system, it is now a 'dedicated' F@H unit.
My upgrade cost was just over $450.00 USD.

Final specs: "F@H at will!"
Mobo: Intel D975XBX2KR I975X LGA775.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, (SL9S8) 1066 FSB speed.
CPU cooler: Dynatron K987.
Memory: G Skill 2 GB, GSK F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK 1066 Timing 5-5-5-15.
Video: Nvidia GTX280 PCI-E x 16, 1 GB. [240 CUDA cores!]
Audio: SigmaTel STAC9271D 8-channel.
PSU: Antec 650 watt (EA-650).
Hard drive: Seagate ES ST500NM0011 500GB 7200 RPM SATA.

Update Mar. 07.. Did a wattage check on the system, and at "normal" idle it draws around 185 watts. When fully active, that goes up to 265 watts.
Considering the electric rate here at $0.1416/kwh, with about 15 hours daily, that equates to around $17.00 USD per month. Can live with that!

Edit Mar. 09.. corrected the electric rates for my area!

Edit Mar. 10..
Seems there may be a problem with the video driver, has "crashed" twice.. after about 9 hours operation. No video. Keyboard or mouse input have no effect. The only way I can get video back is to manually shut down.. using Alt+F4 and then "U" or "return". Upon restart, video is good again. The driver is from Nvidia, 9.18.13.3165 10/13/2013 which is supposed to be the latest version.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:41 am

So far, the 'new' system is working great.. cranking out the F@H points. Only one minor problem noted, loss of video output if I don't switch the KVM over to it before 10 pm local time! This is after more than 9 hours operation. No calendar events, no schedule times set.. no power saving features active. The video and hard drive are set to "never" shut down. Automatic defrag is done each Sunday at 10 am only. If I switch the KVM over to the 'new' system after 10 pm, I can get keyboard/mouse interaction.. and it appears the GPU is still folding. But no video!
Odd.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:54 am

Check the event logs for ANY activity at that time.

eventvwr
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:43 am

Have been through all the event logs, features and services. No significant errors found, or any scheduled events relating to this issue. Win 7 keeps an extensive log of every event.. no matter how trivial. Windows nags about its firewall being disabled, but my AVG version is better!
Just odd that if the KVM is switched over before 10 pm, no video "loss". But if after that time, no video.. yet keyboard/mouse do have response! The KVM I use has port bridges to enable a "presence" of devices when not actually on that port.
Not a real problem, just a nuisance.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:14 am

Does the KVM have upgradeble firmware and if so, are you on the latest version? What brand/model is it?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:42 am

It is a 4-port 'passive' or manual type, model MS-41P, but can't recall the brand of it. Did find a link for a similar model, an unknown Chinese manufacturer. Did look over the KVM well, but no brand name. Yes, the label notes "Made in China". Might have been a Belkin or other decent brand, when I bought it new many years back. Memory not accessible for that period!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification