iPad Air Screen Protector ???

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

iPad Air Screen Protector ???

Postby c327 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:02 am

Recently purchased a new iPad Air and have not set it up other than putting it on my network. I bought a Logitech case for it and am wondering if I should put a screen protector on the iPad?

The salesman at BestBuy says I should use a screen protector because the tablets glass will get scratched. I asked a sales person at an Apple store the same question and he said the glass will not scratch from touching it with fingers and that I really didn't need it.

I did notice that the glass with out the screen protector does show finger prints pretty badly even for few times I touched the screen, so three questions:

1) Does having a screen protector help keep from showing the fingerprints?

2) Will having a screen protector help protect the glass screen from getting scratched mainly from repeated touching of the glass screen?

3) Would you recommend buying a good quality screen protector for around $34 bucks plus paying to have it put on?

Thanks.........
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mark H » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:42 am

Screen protectors perform a dual function. Primary is to prevent scratches from little accidents i.e., dropping keys on the screen. the other function is reducing glare and fingerprints aren't as visible. FWIW, I have them on all my phones and tablets.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:30 am

For an expensive 'personal' computing unit, it is a good idea to protect the touch screen. The film is made specifically for the use, having a non-adhesive yet "sticky" backing to keep it in place yet easily removed.
It has to have the ability to pass capacitive or pressure interaction from the user to the screen. While they may cost around $20.00 or more USD, it is an assurance that the screen gets a longer life without scratches.
Never, ever use any cleaning fluids containing ammonia on those screens or shields!! A drop of dish washing soap in a few ounces of water, and a soft cloth (microfiber, cotton!), will do a great job of removing smudges. Avoid use of paper towels or such.
In food service stores, there are specific covers for cash registers. But clear food wrap is commonly used.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 am

i used to always have screen protectors on my phones...but, with my new LG G2, i decided to not. haven't had any problems whatsoever - and i think i prefer it without one at this point.

in my opinion, they're not really needed unless you put your phone in a place where it can get scuffed/scratched constantly (i.e. a purse, or in your pocket with hard objects like a knife, change or keys...etc)

there's a bit of a loss in precision for touch with the protectors on, and sometimes i had to touch something multiple times for it to register. with no protector, it's much more consistent - and i find the colors to be brighter and more vivid.

typically anything using top grade gorilla glass won't need anything - it's extremely scratch resistant. sure it'll break if you drop it, but a screen protector will just keep the broken pieces from falling apart, not stop the screen from breaking.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments, they are all appreciated.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:35 am

Roach412 wrote:i used to always have screen protectors on my phones...but, with my new LG G2, i decided to not. haven't had any problems whatsoever - and i think i prefer it without one at this point.

in my opinion, they're not really needed unless you put your phone in a place where it can get scuffed/scratched constantly (i.e. a purse, or in your pocket with hard objects like a knife, change or keys...etc)

there's a bit of a loss in precision for touch with the protectors on, and sometimes i had to touch something multiple times for it to register. with no protector, it's much more consistent - and i find the colors to be brighter and more vivid.
typically anything using top grade gorilla glass won't need anything - it's extremely scratch resistant. sure it'll break if you drop it, but a screen protector will just keep the broken pieces from falling apart, not stop the screen from breaking.

-Roach

Going back to the old CRT monitors I know for a fact that the outside of the tube was coated with a protective coating and if a strong cleaner was used like ones with ammonia in them will damage the coating over time.

OK I understand the gorilla glass is strong and not easily scratched itself but thinking back to the old CRT's I am now wondering if the outside of the iPad glass is also coated with a similar protective coating of some kind?

If there is a coating on the glass of some kind like the CRT's granted the glass might not be scratched but the coating might? This is something I need to know before I run into an issue I will regret. This is along the lines of measure twice and cut once deal........

Thanks
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:11 am

Any CRT monitor will have a protective layer on the tube face. The coating also helps to avoid scratches, which could weaken the glass, causing an implosion. This is to restrain the glass, if it shatters. Similar to auto windshields, but not as a "lamination".
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:18 am

For your reading pleasure.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby c327 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:32 am

Mark H wrote:For your reading pleasure.

Read it, thanks.

But when this type glass is used in a tablet is the glass also coated with a protective film and if so on what side is it coated?
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Ripshod » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:39 am

My Samsung Galaxy Y is over 2 years old now. Spends most of it's time in my pocket with all the loose change. Other than fingerprints which just wipe off with a screen cleaning cloth there is zero damage.

My specs that I wear all the time have a 'scratch resistant' coating, which really works. I believe manufacturers have been using this on touch screens for a while now.

It was probably true in the early days these protectors were 'essential'. But not so much these days.

Having said that, if you want to look after a touch screen then definitely use a protector, never know what might accidentally hit the screen.

Would you send your kids out in the rain without a coat, even though the rain will run off their skin?
CALL &BD19 (If you need to ask you don't need to know)
Ripshod
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to The Water Cooler