Desktop Icon ??

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Desktop Icon ??

Postby c327 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:21 am

This concerns an XP Pro SP3 PC.

The wife some how managed to put the original Windows Desktop Icon on the desktop, it is not a short cut copy. I questioned her under a bright light and she pleads the 5th. I threatened her with taking her car away from her so she couldn't go shopping along with her coupons, but still her mind is a blank.

The short cut copy is in the quick launch.

I looked around in various folders but do not see the Desktop Icon. This is an operating systems icon and want to put it back where it came from.

Thanks...............
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:52 am

"Drag and drop" is the cause. If the right mouse button is used to move an icon, then you choose 'move' or 'copy', that is the result. If using the left mouse button and you drag an icon, it may cause the icon to be 'moved' automatically. If the icon is still there in the quick launch sector, it may be good. Delete the duplicate, and if the desktop does not come up when in another page, then restore it (recycle) and delete what is in the quick launch sector.
A bad link icon normally will show as a square "page".
Worst event is if you drag a program file to where it doesn't belong.. and you have serious problems!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 am

Karlsweldt wrote:"Drag and drop" is the cause. If the right mouse button is used to move an icon, then you choose 'move' or 'copy', that is the result. If using the left mouse button and you drag an icon, it may cause the icon to be 'moved' automatically. If the icon is still there in the quick launch sector, it may be good. Delete the duplicate, and if the desktop does not come up when in another page, then restore it (recycle) and delete what is in the quick launch sector.
Worst event is if you drag a program file to where it doesn't belong.. and you have serious problems!

I can drag and drop the original icon in the quick launch area but it then it says short-cut. What folder does the original desktop icon normally reside in?

Thanks..........
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:29 am

Will check tomorrow on a work PC... :roll:
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:08 pm

evasive wrote:Will check tomorrow on a work PC... :roll:

The icon on the desktop screen is an icon of the desktop and under the icon it says "Show Desktop"

This Desktop Icon's Property Page shows: Type of File - Windows Explorer Command.

I am trying to find out where this Desktop icon came from so I can put it back.

Thanks............
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:40 pm

I found it :D

C Drive
Documents & Settings
Administrators Name
Application & Data
Microsoft
Internet Explorer
Quick Launch

I dragged the original icon in question back into the Quick Launch Folder and deleted the short cut to it.

Fixed............ :D :mb_champagne:: :mb_dancelocks:: :mb_fixed:: :mb_dontknow:: :mb_geek:: :mb_hiphurray:: :mb_reindeer:: :mb_silly:: :mb_tease:: :mb_winner:: :mb_congrats:: :mb_madhacker:: :crazy: :bootyshake: :occasion5: :lovestory: :mb_hungry:: :mb_xmasbanner:: :mb_moped:: :mb_mooning:: :mb_chick1::
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:57 pm

screenshot?

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 am

Karlsweldt wrote:"Drag and drop" is the cause. If the right mouse button is used to move an icon, then you choose 'move' or 'copy', that is the result. If using the left mouse button and you drag an icon, it may cause the icon to be 'moved' automatically. If the icon is still there in the quick launch sector, it may be good. Delete the duplicate, and if the desktop does not come up when in another page, then restore it (recycle) and delete what is in the quick launch sector.

Now that I found out where this desktop icon came from (put it back) I see that the most likely way the wife could have caused this was a drag and drop move as you say.

I did notice that if I drag the original desktop icon out of the quick launch area and then put it back it goes back as a copy and not as an original. In order to get it back as an original it needs to be dragged into the Quick Launch folder. When that is done the original Desktop icon will automatically be replaced back into the Quick Launce area.

The wife has a bad habit of playing a PC game on the desktop with out expanding the view and that is how I end up with these drag and drop issues. She just won't listen PDT_Armataz_01_02
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:56 am

..bad habit of playing a PC game on the desktop with out expanding the view..

To resolve that issue, set the task bar for "auto-hide". Any time it is needed, simply move the pointer to the very bottom of the screen.. and it reappears.
Normally, when you drag an item with the left mouse button, it will be moved. With the right mouse button, you get a choice. Today, it is more "finger" than "mouse" interaction (touch-screens).
"Mousing" a PC:
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems