iPad Air

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

iPad Air

Postby c327 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:30 am

Bought a new Apple iPad Air from BestBuy but there was no user manual or warranty paperwork in the sealed box? Called BestBuy and they said none comes with it?

My first tablet and Apple product. Getting it connected to my network was no problem but there are many questions I have regarding its use and set up. Like.....

1) What browser does it use?
2) Is it safe to use a different browser if offered?
3) Do I need to use an anti virus utility or other utilities to help keep this
tablet safe as possible?
4) If I can Is it safe to use say Outlook as my email and if so how do I set it up to use my Google Gmail?

What gives with the user manual and warranty information ??
Last edited by c327 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Toby B. » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:34 am

going "green" maybe.. All that stuff, they probably figure could be downloaded.. Dunno
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:40 am

Toby B. wrote:going "green" maybe.. All that stuff, they probably figure could be downloaded.. Dunno

Just wondering if I was ripped with the manual some how other than going cheep by Apple? All the box contained was the tablet, charger, and two Apple stickers.

The least they coulld have done was include a small tube of lube.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Toby B. » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:57 am

c327 wrote:
Toby B. wrote:going "green" maybe.. All that stuff, they probably figure could be downloaded.. Dunno

Just wondering if I was ripped with the manual some how other than going cheep by Apple? All the box contained was the tablet, charger, and two Apple stickers.

The least they coulld have done was include a small tube of lube.

hmm, note sure really.. Unless it might of been an OEM type deal (minus the documentation, etc.)

tablet safe as possible?
4) If I can Is it safe to use say Outlook as my email and if so how do I set it up to use my Google Gmail?

AFAIK, you can use alternate browsers like FireFox, etc.. Antivirus, I would assume it is needed, but it might be like the iphones and have one hidden??
The ipad mail app is its own interface like Outlook. You can set up multiple email accounts on it. As far as using Outlook itself I don't know for sure..

The only apple products I have used for any length of time are an iPhone and an iPod..
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:18 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:20 pm

tablet safe as possible?
1) It uses Safari for iOS as its browser. You don't need any more. Most of the main sites like Facebook, Ebay etc have their own apps, so you don't need the browser all the time.
2) I tried Opera for iOS, but found I rarely used it due to using apps most of the time...
3) No, not really, iOS is pretty much safe from viruses as unlike windows, there is no 'executable' code. Apple are also very stringent on apps in the app store, unlike Google, so the chance of any malicious code is remote.
4) You don't need any 3rd party mail programs. It comes with its own. On my Ipad and Iphone, it picked my email account up without having to do much, I tend to view most of my emails on the phone...

It is simple to use as my mother in law is the most technologically inept person I know, next to my own mother. She picked up my Ipad and mastered it pretty quickly!!!
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:38 am

Unusual that no user manual or other important papers were with the unit. Was it factory sealed? Might have been a demo model or a 'good' return.
Not much found as to "what's in the box" searching, but did find one link.. Unpacking an iPad Air with a hot link on the page for a photo montage. #17 photo shows what "should" be there.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:25 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Unusual that no user manual or other important papers were with the unit. Was it factory sealed? Might have been a demo model or a 'good' return.
Not much found as to "what's in the box" searching, but did find one link.. Unpacking an iPad Air with a hot link on the page for a photo montage. #17 photo shows what "should" be there.

Yes it was sealed. Did some checking at the Apple store and talked to a few Apple iPad users. Found out that Apple does not enclose a written copy of a user guide in the box. The user guide is 135 pages long and is loaded on the iPad itself. I downloaded a copy and printed it out and filed it away for safe keeping and use.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 am

c327 wrote:Yes it was sealed. Did some checking at the Apple store and talked to a few Apple iPad users. Found out that Apple does not enclose a written copy of a user guide in the box. The user guide is 135 pages long and is loaded on the iPad itself. I downloaded a copy and printed it out and filed it away for safe keeping and use.

apple does not expect you (or most any of its users) to read the manual, warranty info or their license agreements for any of their products - so, they simply don't provide them in a document form anymore. i understand their cost-savings point - but it should be more easily conveyed on how one can get that info and print it if necessary. i don't think users should have to figure out that they need to go online and search for it.

another, albeit small, example of the "we'll tell you what you need to know" apple-isms.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:08 am

I can agree with many cost-cutting thoughts. But to NOT include a basic 'how-to' page for first use or initial operation is not good practice. Is the unit fully charged, ready to use? Where do you plug in the power source, if the plug is very similar to an earphone type? Do you need a hard copy of an activation number? Should a protective film first be removed from the display? For the first-time user, this is a critical need.
If the package was indeed "factory-sealed", yet no documentation of any sort, likely someone had "Mondayitis" on the assembly line!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to The Water Cooler