Windows Vista Business or Home (32 or 64 bit) which one?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows Vista Business or Home (32 or 64 bit) which one?

Postby ed4586 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Just bought a used Dell latitude E4300 laptop for a project, it is being shipped as I write. Want to prepare to set it up when it arrives. It has the Vista Business COA and a new replacement hard drive without the OS installed, -NO- OS install disc comes with it.

So I'm not sure which OS I need 32 or 64 bit, here is the Dell support link:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products ... _en-us.pdf

Looking at specifications tab, do I need the 64bit OS?

Thanks
ed4586
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mark H » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:10 pm

The laptop will support both 32 and 64 Bit operating systems. When the laptop arrives, look on the bottom for a "Service Tag", and use that number on the Dell support website to see how get recovery disks (if available), and download all necessary drivers. There is a specific order to installing various applications and drivers. The Dell user forums are a good source for this info. Not sure if you can still get Vista, maybe Dell can send them to you. You might want to contact the seller and have him/her transfer the computer (service tag) to your name. This will make downloading applications and drivers easier.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ed4586 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Mark H

Thanks

I remember reading something that for all of the memory (up to 8 MB) to be recognized the 64 bit OS should be installed? I'll never have more than 4 MB Ram so 32 Bit will work for me.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Ed
ed4586
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:03 pm

ed4586 wrote:Mark H

Thanks

I remember reading something that for all of the memory (up to 8 MB) to be recognized the 64 bit OS should be installed? I'll never have more than 4 MB Ram so 32 Bit will work for me.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Ed
Its not just RAM, it is file size too... If you have a file of about 3.9Gb and bigger, 32bit operating systems are limited on moving/copying with it.. 64bit these days is a more viable option.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:33 am

I would go with the 64-bit choice. It is backward compatible to almost all 32-bit programming. But you may have problems with older 16-bit programming.
When considering the total memory use of a system, that must include any device with its own memory.. such as video cards. Any greater amount than 3.25 GB may cause issues.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems