Weird issue

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Weird issue

Postby Mark H » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Trying to figure out what happened.....

Wife took her lappy (Win8) to work and used her cell phone wi-fi hotspot to get on the web. Upon returning home, she could not connect to our network wirelessy. Internet was fine, she could see shared printers, but not print.

I have my network set up with an SSID for guests to surf, and a separate, but similar home network name, so guests cannot see networked computers.

For simplicity, I will refer to guest access as GUEST, and network as HOME
Printers are connected via USB and shared on the HOME network

In Control Panel>System>Computer name, Domain, and Workgroup shows HOME as Workgroup

In Network and Sharing Center under "View your Active Networks" it shows GUEST, and under "View your basic network information and set up connections' is blank

I tried every conceivable option to see the HOME network and connect, with no luck.

After about 2 hours, I said "Screw it" and did a system restore, which fixed the problem.

What should I do to prevent this in the future?
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:18 am

I guess the cellphone hotspot activated some sort of new network connection that took over the default gateway.

Make a restore point just before she goes to work, do the same thing again and upon return check the network connections folder.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:48 am

There was probably another adapter under Network Connections that handled tethering that it was trying to go through. Either deleting or disabling it would have fixed it.
I had a similar problem when I tried to use Internet Connection sharing.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:17 am

"Hot spots" for Wifi can be dangerous, as to hackers and hijacking. Not all, of course.. but it is a 'honey hole' for hackers.. finding personal info and such. Not the site itself, really, but the interloper that snoops on others without you noting the intrusion.
A wireless site might not have the same hardware/address as the 'home' setup.. and the OS might set up a new IP path as default. Once you get your personal network set up, use a "default" category for it.. easy to revert to, if any future changes.
By opening the command-prompt window (Start > Run, type in cmd) and typing ipconfig/all you will note for networking IP addresses.
route print will show all routing details
When done, type in exit to close.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:43 pm

My bad....hot spot was not wi-fi, but uses cell 4G data plan, and connection is password protected.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Networking