Best Time To Visit Europe

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Best Time To Visit Europe

Postby c327 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:21 am

Thinking of visiting Europe (England or Germany) but have concerns about a few things.

1. Which of the two countries should I visit if only one can be done this year.
2. When is school out as I am not looking forward to when the kids are on break of vacation.
3. What is the best time of year weather wise for visiting these countries.

Probably will have 10 days to devote to this trip.

Thanks..................
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:09 am

I would also look at what large events are planned.. Olympic games, world-class auto shows or other festivities. Accommodations can become scarce during those times! It may be better to book a residence outside major cities, maybe 15 miles or so distance. And don't forget weather patterns! Average the past 5 years or so, as to probability of good or bad weather for your visit. Pack needed clothing in anticipation.
Some credit card companies do guarantee a reservation of hotel rooms for your scheduled visit. But some hotels may bend to a higher walk-in offer, and you are left "holding your bags", so to speak. Same is true of many airlines. Getting 'bumped' is no joy. Same advice toward auto rentals!!
Security at airports is very intense. You might consider a separate forwarding of some items, to be held at a shipper's terminal for your pickup. Less costly than baggage taken with you on planes.
One feature you will need is a voltage converter for your phone or camera. Get it now, to ensure you have it then. There are dozens of adapter types, look for one that is 'universal' in a kit with several common adapters.
Currency exchanges can be costly. Use a universally accepted currency, prearranged before you leave. Travelers Cheques® are a common form, most are ensured against loss or theft.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:36 am

1. what do you want to see/experience? maybe the UK is easier because no language barrier

2. I'd have to check

3. what weather do you like?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:08 am

i've travelled relatively extensively in germany - spent time for school in Munich.

specifically in germany early fall is fantastic, september or october. good weather, lots of festivals, a true "german" time of year. i've been there in early summer as well, and thought it was very comfortable. later summer timeframes get a bit too warm/humid for lots of travel/moving around.

from other travellers i've talked with, the good weather window for england can be considerably smaller. i know there's a couple people on here from the UK that could give much better opinions on this than i can from 2nd-hand.

i wouldn't be too concerned with language barriers - nearly anyone under 30 or 40 will be able to converse quite well in english in germany.

i'm biased, but...go to germany. =)
in all honesty though, it totally depends on what you want to do/see.

the UK is on my short list of destinations - i have quite a bit of family in wales and england apparently.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mr T » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:04 pm

If you choose to visit the UK is there anyplace in paticular you wish to visit?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:40 am

Were I to visit Europe or the UK, I would definitely want to see some of the castles and other buildings dating back to the 16th century, still in use! Many quaint, small towns are everywhere.. with customs and activities that have not changed much in many centuries. A lot of narrow streets, so plan on a "small" auto rental! But most will be intertwined with modern features.. such as Internet and Wifi.
An idea might be to peruse travel brochures, find interesting places.. then plan your own schedule. Guided tours are not for everyone.
Try to blend in with the populace. To quote an old saying, "If you look like a tourist, you ARE a tourist"!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 am

evasive wrote:1. what do you want to see/experience? maybe the UK is easier because no language barrier

2. I'd have to check

Well having around 10 days to do my thing and knowing I will not be able to see everything I want to see kind of makes it difficult. So I would have to prioritize things. WWII points of interest and historical places of England probably.

The weather ?? not a fan of cold so probably mild to warm but not hot. The last time I was in Europe air-conditioning and things cold didn't seem to be like here in the USA. Have been in Italy, Spain, France, Portugal to date. Countries I would like to see before I cash my chips in would be England, Germany, Israel and Ireland, probably not in that order though.

I do have the power adapters if I can find them ???
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:16 am

evasive wrote:1. what do you want to see/experience? maybe the UK is easier because no language barrier

2. I'd have to check

double post sorrry.......
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:28 am

Mr T wrote:If you choose to visit the UK is there anyplace in paticular you wish to visit?

A big question.....Both England and Germany have a huge amount of historical places that I would like to visit but unfortunately just don't have the time. I guess Abbey Road would be on my list as one place. Having never been to England or Germany I probably would want to hit a half dozen main places first and then go from there.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:40 am

If you visit the UK and are a WWII fan, visit London for the Imperial War Museum and the Tower of London. Then move out of London for a more Historical perspective visit York and move on to Scotland for Edinburgh and Stirling (fabulous Castles). Ireland is nice but very expensive. You will not get the full flavour of the UK in 10 days (like I won't with the US when I visit Vegas). I was stationed in Germany and it is a great country too. Bavaria is particularly nice with a few castles you can visit and beautiful alpine views. I would also recommend Amsterdam in the Netherlands if you go there the Heineken Brewery trip is worth it as is the boat trip round the canals, and for WWII history visit The Anne Frank house.

All in all what ever you decide, I hope you have agreat holiday!
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Next

Return to The Water Cooler