XP SP3

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

XP SP3

Postby c327 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:53 am

I think I recall that the support for Windows XP will expire in April 2014. I currently have XP Pro installed but apparently have a registry key or two missing/damaged/corrupt regarding Windows Updates although I can still download the required updates manually a pain in the butt.

Not looking to reinstall windows XP or buying a new O.S. which I really don't like so I was thinking of reinstalling SP3 for Window's XP hoping to fix the registry key issue.

I am not able to uninstall SP3 from add/remove programs because it does not show. SP3 was included on my XP Pro installation CD.

OK so what's the question..............

1 Will reinstalling SP3 correct my damaged/corrupt/missing registry keys that concern Windows Updating ?

2 Can SP3 be uninstalled with out too much trouble and reinstalled ( I have a separate SP3 cd that I got from Microsoft) ?

Thanks...........All
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:01 am

April 8, 2014 will be the official "end of life" for Windows XP. It still can be in use, but without any future security updates. Total abandonment may be in an additional six months to a year.
Reinstalling the SP3 package should update the system files, and restore/replace what is needed. No, the SP3 package cannot be uninstalled.
Here are links about XP SP3.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788
It is important to ensure the drive has been defragged before starting, and that any useless files (Web cache) have been deleted. Any programs that are not critical should also be closed or ended.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby boheemee » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Have you tried Windows Update Automated Troubleshooter?
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/windows-update-issues

I would give that a try before reinstalling SP3....sounds risky to me.
boheemee
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:12 am

I've actually started to use WSUS Offline because the initial installation of XP won't download updates anymore.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Reinstalling SP3 probably won't fix your windows update issue.

Can try the Windows resetting the windows update components:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Or repairing:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-9999378-33.html
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:56 am

I figured I would get back and tell folks that I found the problem regarding Windows Update.

I checked this PC with everything I had in Safe Mode and System Restore disabled and it all came back clean. The next day I ran all the tests again and this time AVG returned one Trojan and 3 virus's ??? I have no idea how this PC got them as there is no risky use of this PC, plus all the other tests were done in Safe Mode with System Restore disabled.

AVG caught them and I removed them now Windows Update works correctly. Strange it is ?????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:00 am

Probably going to stay with XP Pro after April 2014 for as long as it is still usable, maybe by then there will be a good O.S. available to use.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:52 am

Took down your double-postings. Not your fault this happens.
The cause of auto-update downloads from MS may have been to a masquerading 'cookie' from a bad site.
When in 'safe' mode, most viral forms are not active, and easily found and removed. But good that AVG found the malice. Hope your system stays clean.
Sites with pop-up ads and warnings are an invite to malware infection. Even clicking that [X] box to close the pop-up may be the activation of an unwanted problem. Use the task bar to close the site page. If that doesn't kill it, then you may have to restart the system.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Took down your double-postings. Not your fault this happens.
The cause of auto-update downloads from MS may have been to a masquerading 'cookie' from a bad site.
When in 'safe' mode, most viral forms are not active, and easily found and removed. But good that AVG found the malice. Hope your system stays clean.
Sites with pop-up ads and warnings are an invite to malware infection. Even clicking that [X] box to close the pop-up may be the activation of an unwanted problem. Use the task bar to close the site page. If that doesn't kill it, then you may have to restart the system.

Everytime I click on submit it does not do that. It takes two times and in doing so it enters a double post........ I Tried what you said about preview and it did not work.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Took down your double-postings. Not your fault this happens.

Everytime I click on submit it does not do that. It takes two times and in doing so it enters a double post........ I Tried what you said about preview and it did not work. Here we go again...sorry
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:30 am

I make many double-postings also! The two ways it usually doesn't happen for me is when I hold the 'submit' button for more than a second, or if the cycle does not complete, then click back on the topic thread.. and there is the post.
Has to be glitchy software or flaky equipment with the hosting service.
Check the bottom right corner of the page.. you will see permissions for members. And if there is a small box with an X in it at the top right of your posting, you can delete your own post.

I also will continue to use Win XP for as long as my browser, antivirus and firewall program honor it. But eventually will have to go with a newer OS version.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Operating Systems