Can't get new work units....

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Can't get new work units....

Postby Eddie2001 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 am

Hi all,

This is what I have been getting for several days now:

[19:55:18]
[19:55:18] Gpu type=3 species=23.
[19:55:18] Loaded queue successfully.
[19:55:18] Initialization complete
[19:55:18] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[19:55:18] Cleaning up work directory
[19:55:18] + Attempting to get work packet
[19:55:18] Gpu type=3 species=23.
[19:55:18] - Connecting to assignment server
[19:55:18] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[19:55:18] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[19:55:18] - Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.
[19:55:28] + Attempting to get work packet
[19:55:28] Gpu type=3 species=23.
[19:55:28] - Connecting to assignment server
[19:55:28] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[19:55:28] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[19:55:28] - Attempt #2 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.
[19:55:48] + Attempting to get work packet
[19:55:48] Gpu type=3 species=23.
[19:55:48] - Connecting to assignment server
[19:55:48] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[19:55:48] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[19:55:48] - Attempt #3 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

What is going on with this?

Thanks!

Ted
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:31 am

replace your client software with the latest version
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=160059
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Eddie2001 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:29 pm

I need the GPU program...not the CPU program! I cannot find the GPU program anywhere on the Folding@Home website....only the CPU version. Do they no longer use GPU?

Thanks!

Ted
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby boheemee » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:40 am

Ted, what version of the client are you running now? Version info should be listed at the beginning of your current fahlog.txt file. Have you tried deleting the fahcore and queue.dat files from the f@h directory? The client will download a new core and start a new queue when you restart the client. Be advised, if you delete the queue.dat file you will lose any work unit results that haven't been sent in.
If that doesn't work you can download and try the new V7 FAHClient software
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software/

Or if you want Older Versions go here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/download2011
boheemee
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:50 am

Indeed, the client software has changed.. and new servers are handling the F@H units. New software is available for either the CPU or GPU process.. so get the latest program from Stanford.. http://folding.stanford.edu/home/
Any previous program work units should automatically be sent when using the new programs.. and you get the credit. But ensure you enter your user name and team number/name to the setup query.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Eddie2001 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:01 am

According to the log file the program is 6.30r2. There are no fahcore or queue.dat files at all...?

Is the software on the F@H page the GPU or the CPU version? It doesn't say at all so I am *assuming* (!) that it is the CPU version.

I guess I am still wondering why all of a sudden it decided to quit with the error messages I cut and pasted above...seems kinda strange. With some of the computer problems I've been having lately maybe the files got corrupted?

Thanks again....

Ted
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby boheemee » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:48 pm

If you're using the Systray version, you can access those file by clicking Start -> Programs -> Folding@Home-x86 then selecting Folding@home data files. The data folder is where the client stores work unit data, client configuration, and executable files.

The V7 FAHClient software is a Uniprocessor client, it will run GPU or CPU or both.

If you decide to update to the new vwersion be sure to read the install instructions and be sure to remove your previous version before installing the new one.
boheemee
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Eddie2001 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Got it! I am now folding again....

I found the queue file in a folder named "Roaming" and then deleted it. Then I started F@H again and it made a new queue file and downloaded a w/u.

Question remains though is why did F@H decide not to download new w/u?? It does seem strange that just by deleting the queue file that it would then resume work, no? I wonder why the old queue file was no good...

Oh well, at least I can contribute again :)

Thanks for the help all!

Ted
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:31 am

The project series for certain proteins has ended, and new ones begun. If the client (on your system) tries to connect to the old server address, then it finds no new work. Or a non-existent server. The older console client is now dormant. Any previous work units should be returned when the new client is activated.
If using the Windows browser, certain files with an attribute of system (s), hidden (h), read-only (r) or archived(a) may not be shown.. even if you check the option to "show all files". Only a file manager that can view all files will show them, regardless of attribute. Total Commander from www.ghisler.com/ is an excellent program for file management/viewing.
Don't attempt to change any configuration files for F@H.. you may corrupt the program, cause loss of points and have to reinstall.
Yes, the latest version of F@H client is self-configuring to work with either the CPU, GPU or both. One feature of the new program I don't care for is that it wants to reside in the "Documents and Settings" folder. Best to be in the Program Files folder, or in its own folder!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby boheemee » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Glad to see you got things sorted out. I read your post in tech support, your system problems could have been the reason your queue.dat file got corrupted. Not that unusual actually. I have had similar problems in the past, mostly due to overclocking on my part. I'm running an Nvidea Card on client version 6.30r1.

Hope you have a great Christmas.....Keep Folding.... :D
boheemee
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team