Olivetti M4 64 Modulo - Entering Bios

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Olivetti M4 64 Modulo - Entering Bios

Postby hammerpaal » Sun May 16, 2010 10:17 am

Hello!

I'm having a little trouble with my old, (yes, I know it's that old. :P) Olivetti computer.
The floppy disk drive is damaged, and I have changed it.

Now the Resident Diagonistics Rev. 1.05 cannot find the drive, and says it's not present.
I have tried to enter the Bios, and my manual says that I should press: Ctrl, Alt and U, simultaneously, after the following message, "System Region ID......." has been displayed for 5 seconds.

This doesn't work, so I'm not sure what to do.

Does somebody remember how to enter the bios?

The computer is a: Olivetti M4 64 Modulo
hammerpaal
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun May 16, 2010 1:05 pm

I think you need to change out the floppy cable as well if you change out the drive, I remember there's something special about the modulo series floppy drives. What is the make and model on the old drive? And what on the new drive? I'll check if I can find the technical manual for your system...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun May 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Did not find much about that old Olivetti model, but found this BIOS setup page (in French).
Possibly the floppy drive data cable has no 'twist' between the 'A' and 'B' drives, instead depending on jumper settings on the drives. If the unit has both the 5.25" drive and the 3.5" drive, consider eliminating the 5.25" drive, as it is considered obsolete. The suggestion by evasive to change the data cable to a newer type with the 'twist' may work.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hammerpaal » Wed May 26, 2010 2:49 am

It may be the floppy disk cable as you suggest.
Seems like I have to search the entire basement for that old cable. I'm not sure what the make and model is on the old drive, but now I have a Sony floppy disk drive installed in the computer. It lightens up when I turn on the computer, and it makes a sound when the computer tests the floppy disk drive, but it says only that it is NOT PRESENT.

I can try to change the jumper settings to see if it works!

Found some Olivetti cd-roms at eBay, which I won at an auction, with Manageability pack, and Drivers collection, but I guess they were not compatible with my computer, even though it says: "Modulo / Modulo Pro Series". The disk was made in 1996, and my computer is from 1993.
hammerpaal
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Wed May 26, 2010 3:05 am

@hammerpaal: OOOOOOOOOOOOO please make an iso out of those CDs, and send them in by email or whatever, if needed be i can setup an FTP account for ya so you can upload them.

Is your system in this list somewhere?
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/olivetti/systems2.html

@Karl: google translate :)
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... l=fr&tl=en
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed May 26, 2010 4:22 pm

If you can get into the BIOS, check the page that lists the drives. Ensure the default setting for the 3.5" ("A") drive is 1.44 MB, not 720 KB or 2.88 MB. Set 'none' for the "B" drive.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hammerpaal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Well, after three years I have finally returned to my thread.
I can certainly upload the drivers if they still are of use for someone.
Let me know if it is necessary.
Evasive, pm for where to upload the ISO-files.

I haven't been doing anything to my Olivetti personal computer in the last years, but I will try to fix it. :)

Karlsweldt, I cannot enter the BIOS, because the code is not working.
I also have a CMOS-checksum error, what does this mean?
hammerpaal
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby hammerpaal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Well, after three years I have finally returned to my thread.
I can certainly upload the drivers if they still are of use for someone.
Let me know if it is necessary.
Evasive, pm for where to upload the ISO-files.

I haven't been doing anything to my Olivetti personal computer in the last years, but I will try to fix it. :)

Karlsweldt, I cannot enter the BIOS, because the code is not working.
I also have a CMOS-checksum error, what does this mean?
hammerpaal
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Took out a few of your double-post errors. Sorry to drop your posting points.. host server problems.
As to that old Olivetti, a special disk may be needed to enter the BIOS, if a keyboard combination is not available.
Normally, the [ctrl+alt+del] combo will cause a soft restart. The default BIOS key is typically the [del] key, but the [ctrl+alt+s] or [ctrl+alt+ent] may also be used.. as well as others. Some systems prefer the F2 or F10 key prompt.
Just repeating myself, but the older XT and 286 systems did have specific floppy drive needs.. and cables. Many older drives did have specific jumper settings for the "A" or "B" drive also.
If that motherboard has standard ISA slots, then you might try an add-in controller card that does not require a specific feature that is very scarce. Even with the antiquated EISA slots, some ancient items are still available on eBay.
Good luck with it.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:23 pm

I have opened the ISO's and they look quite healthy to me, next is trying to find out if those floppy images under ICU are indeed what I think they are, setup disks for the bios on these systems. if so, we are in luck. From your description with your previous attempt on the floppy it sounds like the cable was on backwards. The light should only briefly go on, then off again. If it stays on, swap the data cable connector...

2Karl: I think the mailserver is AWOL and the emailer script is hanging because of that...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS