Connected to LAN, but no internet access

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby TriAngle » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Problem: LAN connection to network, but no internet access on 2 Desktops.
Setup: HughesNet Modem connected to Cisco WiFi Router, 2 Desktop XP Pro SP3 PCs Wired to WiFi Router.
Desktops #1 and #2 are part of the network.
Desktop #3 is my personal desktop used to test the internet connection.
Laptop is my personal laptop used to test the internet connection.

This issue appeared about 4 days ago, up until then everything was working fine.

If #1 Desktop XP Pro SP3 is wired to Cisco WiFi Router via #1's cable, it does NOT have internet access.
If #1 Desktop XP Pro SP3 is wired directly into HughesNet modem, it does NOT have internet access.
If Laptop Win 7 64-bit is wired directly into HughesNet modem, it does have internet access. (Modem is OK).
If Laptop Win 7 64-bit is wired to Cisco WiFi Router via #1's cable, it does have internet access. (Cable is OK).
If Laptop Win 7 64-bit is wired to each of the 4 ports of Cisco WiFi Router, it does have internet access. (WiFi Router is OK).
If Laptop Win 7 64-bit is wireless to Cisco WiFi Router, it does have internet access. (WiFi Router is OK).

If #2 Desktop XP Pro SP3 is wired to Cisco WiFi Router, it does have internet access. (Cable is OK).

If #3 Desktop XP Pro SP3 is wired to Cisco WiFi Router via #1's cable, it does NOT have internet access.
If #3 Desktop XP Pro SP3 is wired directly into HughesNet modem, it does NOT have internet access.

All Desktops are virus/adware/spyware free via COMODO Internet Security Pro, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, etc.
#1 Desktop and #3 Desktop will not connect to internet, yet #2 Desktop and the Laptop do connect to the internet.

Rebooted HughesNet modem, Cisco WiFi Router, all Desktops; same problem.
Tried new LAN network CAT5 cables, same problem.
Called HughesNet tech, they troubleshot modem; no problems with modem.
IPConfig Flushed/Released/Renewed; same problem.

I will try winsockxpfix.exe on my next visit. Client lives 45 minutes away.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:21 am

Any changes in firewall settings? If the port is not 'fully trusted' then no access. Also, there should be an icon in the SysTray box that allows you to control access to LAN service. Ensure it is not disabled.
Also check the LAN cables to ensure they are proper for the need. And good. A 'straight' cable has the same color wire arrangement on both ends. A 'crossover' cable has four wire colors reversed. A 'crossover' cable should be used only as peer-to-peer links, or with router/hub links. For router/hub to client, use a 'straight' cable. LAN cable wiring:
Hold the RJ45 cable ends side-by-side to check the wire color arrangement.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby TriAngle » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Karlsweldt, many thanks for your reply.
I ran winsockfix and same problem.
Ran tweak's windows DNS repair, same problem.
Installed wireless PCI card into tower, will not connect.
Installed wireless USB adapter, will not connect.
I installed a Linksys Gigabit PCI card into tower, will not even get an ISP address.

Ran RKill, Stinger, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, COMODO scans, found some things, deleted/rebooted, same problem.
Cleaned registery etc. with CCleaner, same problem.
I'm not the best "network guy", my least expertise.

Oh, I forgot to mention, on their desktop #1, it will not connect to the internet using IE or Firefox, but Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware will update. So, I was thinking that the browsers were "hijacked" or whatnot, so I reset them to default settings after running the antivirus/malware apps. Still, no go.

Go figure.
I reckon some Windows stuff exploded.
I guess a full restore is in order....but they have no "restore" discs (the usual scenario)....I'll take a look into my bag and see what I can find....
But, why did the desktop XP PC I brought to test the problem have the same problem they are having?

Maybe the Linksys WiFi router/switch needs defaulting?

One thing I can say, I truly appreciate any and all the assistance you and the other guys here have given me throughout the years.
Peace, Brother, and Many Moons of Love to You.
Tri.
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby TriAngle » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Karlsweldgt, The Cat5 Network cables are all fine, tested all of them.
I eventually unplugged everything, plugged the Linksys/Cisco WiFi router/switch next to the Desktop #1 which is next to the HughesNet Modem.
So, everything is wired into the Linksys WiFi router/switch now with new shorter cables, everything works fine except for Desktop #1 and #3. Same problem.
I can plug a Win7 laptop directly into each Linksys WiFi router/switch port and each port works fine with internet access, but the 2 desktops don't, while desktop #2 does fine.
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:31 am

no internet access as in the browsers cannot connect but how if you do a traceroute from the cmd.exe to www.motherboards.org?

Did you check the system proxy settings?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:42 am

One check I forgot.. reset the routers and hubs. Pull the power for about 30 seconds, then restart.
There is less than 1/2 second of reserve in a power supply.. and if a minute "blip" happens to the mains power, it can disrupt the performance of routers and hubs. Same too for most electronic equipment.
If a computer experiences this "blip", it may reboot or freeze.. and you would be aware.
You can check any connected network devices by using the command-prompt mode, and type in ipconfig/all to note all active networking IP addresses. All the active units should note the presence of each other. If not, then suspect the hub or router has had a hiccup. Do the reset test and check again. If still no ID of other units, then suspect the hub or router has died. Standard Cat 5e or higher is acceptable for normal runs, where no chance of surges or EMF may occur. But when running near power cables, plenum cable should be used.. it has an extra outer shield to give more protection.

Here is the proper parsing for using the 'traceroute' command.. tracert {IPAddress} or tracert {HostName}
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:32 am

On the XP PRO machines, disable DHCP, it might be causing an IP adress conflict with the router..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:43 am

I am guessing that you have multiple DHCP servers running. Try setting up the workstations statically and see if they can connect.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby TriAngle » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Finally got back to client's home........
Uninstalled Comodo on Desktop #1 and Desktop #3.
Full internet access now.
Seems Comodo Internet Security was blocking the browsers and some other programs from internet access.
Installed AVG Antivirus 2013 (retail) and Windows Firewall on both desktops, and now all is good.

The laptop was using Comodo, but no problems there.

Thanks for all your assistance.
Tri.
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:52 am

TriAngle wrote:Finally got back to client's home........
Uninstalled Comodo on Desktop #1 and Desktop #3.
Full internet access now.
Seems Comodo Internet Security was blocking the browsers and some other programs from internet access.
Installed AVG Antivirus 2013 (retail) and Windows Firewall on both desktops, and now all is good.
The laptop was using Comodo, but no problems there.
Thanks for all your assistance.
Tri.

Having more than one security system on a computer can lead to conflicts. And Internet blocking. Firewall programs especially. Run one only!
Yes, some security programs can be a bit over-protective. Likely just resetting the security levels to default, then to ''medium-high'' will restore most access rights. Certain security settings need to be manually set. And if the real-time date of the system is way off, you may note 'certificates not honored' for many sites!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking