FBI Virus Locks Up Computer

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

FBI Virus Locks Up Computer

Postby Spark » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Went to a website and clicked on something within it and an FBI page opened up locking up this PC. I tried everything but can't get into Windows. I saw on the news that this is a virus of some type? How does a person get rid of this if they can't get into Windows?

Thanks.........
Spark
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby cw4cam » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Have you tried to log in in safe mode?
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Mr T » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:00 pm

To get rid of:

1) Boot into SAFE MODE (F8 before the windows splash screen)
2) Go to control panel, user accounts, create a new account and set it to Administrator and password protect. Set all other accounts to general user.
3) Reboot into normal mode and use the new account. Download and install:
a)Malwarebytes Antimalware
b)Microsoft Security Essentials
c)CCleaner
All can be found at filehippo.com.
Uninstall any other antivirus as it is not good enough and let you get a virus!
And also update them all.
4) Reboot into SAFE MODE and with the new account, run the update malware bytes anti malware - remove any nasty or nasties found.
5) Reboot into normal mode and run MS essentials, followed by CCleaner using CCleaner and also its registry fixer.
6) Set your accounts back, it is worth keeping the new account in case you experience this again.

All the mentioned software is free.
Don't use Internet Explorer.
Download and use Firefox, its far more secure - use two add-ons - NoScript and ADblocker. These addons will stop the majority of website blighted viruses.
If you really want a virus free operating system, avoid M$ windows. Try a free linux distro, like linux mint, Ubuntu, Mandriva and the like. They are free and once you get used to it, it runs much like windows with a free software that can do as much, if not more than the windows platform, ie Adbobe photoshop $$$$$ - GIMP - Free, MS Office $$$$ - Libre Office - free...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 am

You probably have something loading out of C:\ProgramData if windows 7. Thats where a lot of them store executables now.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:40 am

Some very nasty variants of that "FBI" virus! One version demands you pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to "free" your computer of the problem. The real FBI is investigating this malware source to shut it down.
Some pop-up ads are entirely "hot" and you should not just click on the [X] box to close them. That will result in acceptance of the malware!
Instead, use the task bar tab for it, right-click and choose 'close'. If that does not clear the threat, then do the same to the tab for your browser. A last option would be to pull the Internet connection from your system, and then shut down and restart. Mr T is correct about anti-virus programs. Some are not as effective as others. Many "Freeware" programs are not as good as "purchased" programs.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:33 am

THIS

http://www.surfright.nl/en/kickstart

will take care of it. Tried and proven personally.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security