Window's 10 (Cloud) ?????

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby c327 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:22 am

evasive wrote:c327: is there a strong reason why you want to run Microsoft Office on your system? Do you have a lot invested in macro's and forms, procedures etc? Or would any other good Office suite do the job as well? Something like OpenOffice or LibreOffice? As for the hardware can you give real-life examples? Because I think even the dumb windows printing-system devices (I refuse to call those POS printers) have basic functionality under Linux now.

bdub: indeed it will be 8.2 or 8.3 more likely (SP2 and SP3 for windows 8).

No strong reason other than I receive files from others that were created in MS Office. I know all I need is a MS Office downloaded reader but don't know if that will work with Linux?

I can't give you factual examples because I only read recently that some hardware and or peripherals that were made for Windows may not work with Linux, just don't know first hand.

My concern with Linux is with the hardware I used in my 2 year old Intel build and with my scanner, printer, DSL equipment, digital camera, thumb drives, software and things along those lines. Some of my software is old as s--t it self and probably could be replaced.

Going to have to make a decision by next April it seems. I just don't like current flavor of Windows and probably the next Windows O.S. will not be much different.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:44 am

In that case, why not list brand and model of the hardware so we can try and find out if it is indeed half-decent supported?

And while you're at it, what functionality from software?

Oh BTW, the office suites I mention are capable of opening MS Office files just fine.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:16 am

Open Office ( openoffice.org ) is more efficient and less of a memory hog than the 'standard' Office programs.. and is 100% compatible to all of its features. Versions available for Windows, Mac, Linux and other special OS types. Best part, it is an open-source program.. freeware. But a donation to its future would be appreciated!
Best to get the program directly from the official site.. some Web sites may include unwanted offers or have malicious pop-ups.

While Win XP may be "obsolete" after next April, surely it will still be in use for a few years.. until ancillary programs no longer accept it. Win Vista has a few more years of extended support, but it too is on a dead-end street. Win 7 may be the best choice, if you don't have all the touch-screen and interactive GUI features.

Back in the late 1990s, a "new" OS version every year was the trend. Win ME was one of those "strange child" MS offers.. and quickly lost favor. Win Vista was a bit too involved with bells, whistles and "gee-wow" features.
Win8 is a "new" OS version more intended for touch-screen devices and hand-held tablet computing.
But most computers now in use may become curio items if they don't meet the minimal requirements for newer OS versions..

For upgrade to Win 7 or Win 8, minimum needs:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Operating Systems