UEFI BIOS: what can it do?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

UEFI BIOS: what can it do?

Postby videobruce » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:35 am

I'm discovering (the hard way) this supposed new & improved BIOS deal isn't what's it cracked to be. Is the following a across the board list of what this can't do?

1. The initial boot screen, the one where you can clearly see all the attached drives, flashes by in a second preventing one from seeing anything in a blink of a eye? is there a way to pause this so I can see if all the drives are there without going into the BIOS like it use to be?

2. The 'home page' (or main page if you like) doesn't show the drives either, just the processor & memory which makes that mostly useless. You have to hunt around and go into a sub menu to find that out.

3. There is no ability to isolate SATA ports, it's either all or none which kinda makes that useless if one wants to hide one or two drives for whatever reason.

More questions when I come across more issues.
Last edited by videobruce on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:48 am

Is that when booted in "Legacy Mode"?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:15 am

You can disable the splash screen like in the old BIOS's but things till tend to flash past due to hardware speed.

The main page at the bottom lists all the bootable drives. With the mouse you can just drag and drop the order of boot priority.

And I learn a new thing that you cannot disable a SATA port with a UEFI BIOS..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby videobruce » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Is that when booted in "Legacy Mode"?
No. I'm running Win7.
You can disable the splash screen like in the old BIOS's but things till tend to flash past due to hardware speed.
Yes, the splash screen was disabled. Yes, they tend to flash past like a bullet making it close to impossible to read anything which makes that useless.
And I learn a new thing that you cannot disable a SATA port with a UEFI BIOS..
You learned that from where??

My older nForce570 board allows this (1&2 active, 1-4 active, all six active).
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Roach412 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:53 pm

videobruce wrote:Yes, the splash screen was disabled. Yes, they tend to flash past like a bullet making it close to impossible to read anything which makes that useless.

can't you use the pause key on your keyboard? that still works on all the machines i've used.

yes, i understand you need to have like perfect timing...
-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby videobruce » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:36 pm

can't you use the pause key on your keyboard? that still works on all the machines i've used.
I tried it a few times, but no response. If the timing is that critical (it's critical enough with conventional BIOS's as it is) then you might as well consider the feature doesn't exist.
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:10 am

The most opportune time to "capture" a POST page is just before it appears. There is no easy way to provide an output source for the process results. Only a professional model POST diagnostics card might have a display feature.. at several hundred dollars cost! WIKI has an interesting read on the POST process and its history.
If interested in exactly what IRQ/DMA assignments are in use, go to the Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device manager page. Then on the top is a tab for "view" where you can note the devices and assignments.
Most 'branded' computers hide the POST statistics with a logo screen.. to avoid needless calls from users about "what is this or that ". But there may be a control line to display the status for the more experienced user.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS