Sales Tax on ALL Internet Purchases?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Tax All Internet Sales?

Tax Only Above $1 million Annual Amount?
40%
Tax All Sales on the Internet?
20%
Tax only if sale is within same state?
40%

Total votes : 5

Sales Tax on ALL Internet Purchases?

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 07, 2013 7:24 am

There is action being considered that all sales via Internet be taxed according to the state where the product is shipped. Some sources, such as The Washington Post, proclaim that
"Shopping on the Internet without paying sales taxes makes you a tax cheat in almost all states".

There are a few versions of this process. One would tax all on-line purchases, regardless of the annual total income of the vendor. Another would tax only those vendors that have more than $1 million dollars in annual sales. Some news sources imply that between $11 million and $45 million in sales taxes would be returned to state revenues, if an Internet Sales Tax were implemented.

What is your opinion?
Reference Sources:
New York Times
The Washington Post
UCMessenger.com
CNN.Money.Com
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Tue May 07, 2013 11:14 am

Easy enough to do. what I dont understand is the tax is different for each state.. If it was the same country wide, then it would be easy to administer... We (in the UK) pay a massive 20% sales tax on most items which is why we are one of the most expensive countries in the world and it has put loads out of business (only the big survive)..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Roach412 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:46 am

that's partially why each state has their own tax codes - not to mention the massive differences in population/commerce/etc across such a physically large county. a few states have no income tax, but massive sales tax, others have no sales tax, but much higher property tax...etc...it's a pick-your-poison type of system.

each state is allowed the ability to try to attract what they want via taxation manipulations.

to add an additional layer, counties and municipalities are afforded the ability to levy even more taxes for special cases. for example, where i live we had a new baseball stadium built a while back - which put on a %0.1 addition to our state sales tax in order to raise public money to support the effort. it applies only to the 5 counties surrounding the stadium location.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_Park_(Milwaukee) (the forum hates this link)

that's in addition to the %0.5 rate increase over the state, just by living in my county. so, the state has an effective 5% rate, but by purchasing items in my county i pay %5.6.

super exciting stuff.
http://www.dor.state.wi.us/faqs/pcs/tax ... ml#txrate2

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Sales tax rates vary by state in the U.S.A. Very few states charge no sales tax, but others do charge between 4% and 7+% tax. Some states exempt clothing below a certain price total, others charge on any price. Some foods are exempt, others taxed.. again, in different ways in different states. And if there was a Federal Excise Tax on an item, that can be taxed by a state sales tax additionally!!
USA State Tax Rates
If this legislative action to tax all Internet sales goes through, it can mean an excessive amount of paperwork for the small-business class!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cw4cam » Tue May 07, 2013 5:51 pm

A politician will never pass up a chance to TAX.
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Roach412 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:56 am

cw4cam wrote:A politician will never pass up a chance to TAX.

look at chicago and their taxes:
Wikipedia wrote:The city of Chicago has one of the highest total sales tax of all major U.S. cities (9.25%).[87] It was previously higher (10.25%), however, it was reduced when Cook County lowered its sales tax by .5% in July 2010, another .25% in January 2012, and another 0.25% in January 2013.[88] Chicago charges a 2.25% food tax on regular groceries and drug purchases, and has an additional 3% soft drink tax (totaling 12.5%). An additional 1% is charged for prepared food and beverage purchases in the Loop and nearby neighborhoods (the area roughly bordered by Diversey Parkway, Ashland Avenue, the Stevenson Expressway, and Lake Michigan).

too many politicians there...

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Tramontane » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:10 am

are you kidding it would be a disaster for the online sellers. not only does each state have a different sales tax it varies in some states by county. that kind of complexity can only be achieved by a mega seller. Not only would it put mom and pops out of business it would drive up the cost aside from the tax. it costs money to hire tax professionals and put in software and legal advice. sales tax is a thing to avoid.
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to The Hundred Year War