windows 7 64 bit

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

windows 7 64 bit

Postby cw4cam » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:55 am

I'm thinking of replacing my winXP on my main rig with windows 7 64 bit. I have an Asus M2Nsli deluxe mb with an Amd 64x dual core 4600+ 2.41 gb prossesor, 2 gb corsair premium ram and an Nvidia GeForce 7300 graphics card. I know most of my software won't work 64 bit, but what about the hardware.
I intend to keep winXP pro on my backup rig. You computer nerds out there let me have it. PDT_Armataz_01_01
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Mr T » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 am

Yes it will work, I have win8 running on a similar setup using OCZ RAM ("Gb of the fast stuff) and it works like a charm. Win7 or win8 should install most drivers automatically... (And I mention win8 as it is much the same as win7 once you get used to it and is quicker)..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby cw4cam » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:41 am

Thanks MrT.
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Mark H » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:27 pm

As far as running 32bit software, Windows 7 will install them to "Program Files(X86)" folder and most will run with no issues. I have some on my Win7 lappy, and all work. Give it a try....
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Same here (except now I'm running a nicely modded Windows 8 x64). The only issue I can see is the amount of RAM. Two gigs would be fine for x86, but you really need 4 gigs for x64. It's a bit sluggish on just the bare minimum. And yes, it runs x86 programs fine (as does Win 8, despite the rumors is was going to be x64 only).
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems