Top performing HDD Recommendation Wanted

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Top performing HDD Recommendation Wanted

Postby c327 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:51 am

Not up to date with what is the latest and bestest in computer hardware and was wondering who make the best performing desktop internal 7200 rpm HDD and what would the model number be?

In the past I have been a Seagate fan and user but I know times change.

Thanks.............Mark
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 am

I still regard Seagate as one of the best. But other brands are close in the reliability and speed categories.
The only "real" choice is the SATA interface, for longest service life. The newer SSD models have limited life expectancy, but that may improve with development and design.
Any large-capacity hard drive having a large write-behind cache is faster than one having a small write-behind cache. The 'write' process is secondary in importance to the 'seek' process.
While a 7200 RPM drive speed is about the optimal limit, there are 10,000 RPM models available. But they can run hot, and may need specific cooling needs.
The "king" of hard drive performance designs is still the SCSI setup. Hard Drive Types:
To think that back when a 'hard drive' first was used in a computer, the disk may have been up to 18 inches in diameter.. and held only about 2 megs of data!!!!! And a PC of the 1980s may have had a 20 MB hard drive, which could cost in excess of $200.00 USD!!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:03 am

I use various makes and models...

On My NAS servers I tend to use Seagate ST3000DM001 (3Tb) or Seagate ST20000DM001 (2Tb)... I also use Hitachi HDS72303 and WD Greens (1Tb) and a WD Blue (1Tb) along with many others . All do a fine job... If you want speed, look at an SSD for the operating system, OC Vertex are good as are Samsung 840's and use a bigger drive for storage. You can get a decent SSD for about $109...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Recommendations