Asus A8NSLI Sending CPU Fan Messages.

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Asus A8NSLI Sending CPU Fan Messages.

Postby abrogard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:11 pm

My A8NSLI is giving me a message prior to bootup that the CPU Fan is either off or too slow. Gives me the option to switch off those messages in future. Prompts me for F1 to continue.

I always continue.

The fan seems to be spinning around fine. And this is winter, it's cold here. My board is not overclocked. I think there's little danger.

But I ought to ask the experts.

Which is what I'm doing now. What action do you think I should take?

Replace the fan? Change the alarm settings (if possible)? Run some other diagnostic software (what?) ?
abrogard
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:15 am

I think in the bios you can see how much RPM it reports. Some fans are indeed not giving enough pulses for this board to be happy, I don't know if you can adjust the minimum in the bios.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:00 am

Any small DC fan can be checked for "health" by nudging the blades with a toothpick. If they jiggle to a stop, all is good. But if they come to a dead stop, the motor's bearing lube is drying out. Those small fans cannot tolerate friction. If more than two years old, might be time to service it. Cleaning thoroughly after removal, then under the rear label is a plug covering the bearing. One or two drops of light oil such as 3-in-1 or similar worked into the bearing will give it "new" life. Blot out the excess, restore to service. But never use a product like WD-40 or similar!
Most DC fans have a Hall sensor, which reports the RPM of the motor. But many might also have a thermistor in the motor lead, to automatically speed up the fan as heat increases. The BIOS might have a minimal speed setting that can be changed, maybe not. But there also may be a "quiet" feature that spins the fan for a few seconds, then stops it until a thermal sensor is activated. Look for a command line about 'fan speed minimum' or similar.
But all the system fans may be on the same alert circuit. Too involved to create an alert for individual fan status.. so a "general" alert is the end result.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby abrogard » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks for that, guys, sorry I didn't ack at the time

:)
abrogard
Initiate
Initiate

Return to General