Separate Boot Menu without entering the BIOS?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Separate Boot Menu without entering the BIOS?

Postby videobruce » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:26 am

I haven't upgraded since 2007 or so. After doing my usual ton of research, I have a questions about the availability of a separate Boot Menu outside the BIOS allowing changing boot order with entering into the BIOS itself.

I understand pressing F8 is suppose to bring up some type of a Boot menu. Does anyone know if any MB's have a separate Boot Menu that can be made available by a BIOS choice?

My nForce 570 Foxconn does have this and I must admit I'm now spoiled by having it.
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:00 am

The "F8" feature is reserved for Windows pre-boot options (safe mode, normal mode, last known good). Likely an "F11" or "F12" feature keystroke would bring up a boot menu choice, but check the user's manual for that option. Some LAN port drivers reserve the "F10" key feature for options.
If the POST process detects two or more logical boot paths, then it should display a menu for boot options. Might be a command line on a BIOS page for that. Similar to when you have a bootable optical disk in a drive, and a bootable hard drive or USB drive. "Press any key to boot from CD" usually is the on screen message.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby videobruce » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:06 am

Ok, then F8 is just a Windows thing, nothing to do with the BIOS?
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:40 am

Some bioses allow a boot device menu when pressing F8. I have seen something similar on a HP or Compaq system a while ago.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby videobruce » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 am

Does Asus or ASRock allow this? It appears that Asus does, but I have no idea about ASRock.
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Mr T » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 am

Yes, ASRock do.. On most boards it is either F8 or F11.. F8 is not just a windows thing it is dependent on the motherboard model and BIOS revision.. ASRock generally use F11 for the boot set up for the more recent models. Laptops on the other hand tend to sue F10 or F11 for operating system recovery.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby videobruce » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:44 am

Can anyone post a screen shot of this?
My other question is, can individual SATA ports be disabled as opposed to groups of ports so only one drive is seen by the O/S?
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 am

If the "F8" key is used by the BIOS for special features, it has to be pressed repeatedly as soon as the first info screen is noted. Go beyond the POST process, and that becomes the Windows pre-boot option menu command.
Again, read the user's manual for specifics. Usually, the manual will also have images of screen data for reference. BIOS features are individually set by the motherboard providers. Some BIOS designs only show a company logo.. and may not have a command switch to show the progress of the POST stages.
Getting "live" screen shots of a boot up process is not easy. Best is a video camera to record the minute or so of action, then sort out the desired screen views. Using a 'normal' camera would be useless, unless the image was static or not changing.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby videobruce » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:19 am

I was referring to a static menu screen, not the usual POST routine.
Problem is, those manuals don't show the screens I'm interested in, only the OC screens which I'm not interested. :(
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Mr T » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 am

The lower one is what ASRock boards throw up.. You click on the hard drive and it will throw you to another menus showing the attached hard drives and from that you can choose which one to boot. If you press F8, F10 or F11 depending on the BIOS as the BIOS screen shows the BIOS POST, it will bring a menu like this up.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Next

Return to BIOS