Looking for current AMD based MB with IDE socket & wish

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby videobruce » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:21 am

To sum up after all of your welcome input;

1. I may have overemphasized the importance of the IDE port. I won't have a IDE drive in the system 24/7, I just wanted access for a IDE drive.
2. I'm now looking at a 800 series chipset since I'm now considering a Phenom processor instead of a FX due to concerns over the core design.
3. After reading about this UEFI deal, I'm suspicious of this setup with these "keys". This sounds as another Wintel stunt pulling another fast one and I'm not along on this;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Ex ... _Interface
The UEFI 2.2 specification adds a protocol known as Secure boot, which can secure the boot process by preventing the loading of drivers or OS loaders that are not signed with an acceptable digital signature. When secure boot is enabled, it is initially placed in "setup" mode, which allows a public key known as the "Platform key" (PK) to be written to the firmware. Once the key is written, secure boot enters "User" mode, where only drivers and loaders signed with the platform key can be loaded by the firmware. Additional "Key Exchange Keys" (KEK) can be added to a database stored in memory to allow other certificates to be used, but they must still have a connection to the private portion of the Platform key. Secure boot can also be placed in "Custom" mode, where additional public keys can be added to the system that do not match the private key.
In 2011, Microsoft was accused by critics and free software/open source advocates (including the Free Software Foundation) of trying to use the secure boot functionality of UEFI to hinder or outright prevent the installation of alternative operating systems such as Linux, by requiring that new computers certified to run its Windows 8 operating system ship with secure boot enabled using a Microsoft private key. Following the criticism, Microsoft denied that the secure boot requirement was intended to serve as a form of lock-in, and clarified its requirements by stating that systems certified for Windows 8 must allow secure boot to enter custom mode or be disabled, but not on systems using the ARM architecture

4. I also wanted the option of a separate boot menu like my current board has (Foxconn N570SM2AA). I have gotten spoiled by having it. :wink:
5. I am planning on running a SSD drive.

I an considering the following;
ASRock 990FX Extreame4 (slightly more than I wanted to spend,.Does this have a separate boot menu option?)
Gigabyte GS-890FXA-UD5 (rev 3) (with a few more legacy functions that I needed)
ASUS M5A97 R2 (this does have a boot menu)

And others.
Last edited by videobruce on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:23 am

USB to SATA/IDE adapter as most boards can boot from USB devices. I've got a 20 euro one which works fine for me in that respect.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:17 am

Dont worry about UEFI BIOS's... I have had a board with a uefi bios working fine with win XP and also various linux distros... It would be silly for a BIOS programmer not to have backward compatibility to older software, or lock other operating systems out - commercial suicide...

All the boards I have used have a boot menu, usually involves pressing F8, TAB or ESC after the BIOS splash screen. In fact I cannot remember a board that had a BIOS post 2010 that didn't have one...

I would still forget the Phenom II x4... Old CPU and for a similar price if not cheaper you can start with an FX 4100 which works on a par and in some applications is quicker, the FX-4130 is better than any Phenom and is a good price... As I said in a previous post though, why not an FM2 using the inbuilt GPU rather than a separate video card.

Board selection is good, one worth looking at if you stick on the AM3/AM£+ platform is the ASROCK 870 Extreme3 R2.0..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby vinerey » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:37 am

Hey Mr T, did you think about the biostar TA970XE? its very reasonable $79 and got good features and quality. It also supports newest processors für AM3+

Only negative might be that its only 2 USB3 ports. But usually that should be more than enough and is comparable to the gigabyte.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... pk=ta970xe

for PATA i would rather get an extension or exchange the drive to a new one. It will also give you a real performance boost here
vinerey
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:21 am

Biostar are quite reasonable, but have had a some failures compared to ASRock in the past ...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Previous

Return to Recommendations