Windows Activation after new build

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows Activation after new build

Postby mooresmsr » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:53 pm

I have my new PC up and running. I need to give you some background on my operating system status before I get to the question.

I was (a couple of years ago) running Win XP. I got what appeared to be a virus -- the DNS service on the PC quit. The only way to use the internet was to enter the actual IP address for every site I wanted to get to. Checked with several people (none here, as I couldn't get to the internet - duh!), and the upshot was to either reinstall XP, or go to Win 7. I looked but couldn't find my old XP install CD, so I popped for the $$ and got an upgrade copy of Win 7. It installed fine, and ran fine until the old PC bit the dust.

New PC parts come in, I do the assembly, grab the Win 7 64-bit install DVD, get it up and running, get all the updates, and go to the activation process. It says no dice, the thing I bought was for upgrade only, and I installed it from scratch. Aside from the hair-pulling and teeth-chomping, I am not either savvy enough or unprincipled enough to go get an activation code that works, or get the work-around to activate my OS as-is, so I order Win 7 home 64 bit from newegg.

Now my question -- do I need to install the new OS when it comes from newegg (probably Monday), or can I just open the package and use the code from the paper there? And if I have to install the OS, will that do anything to the drivers for all the equipment/non-MS features I already built into the new system? Will the registry carry over? One other wrinkle -- when I did the upgrade to fix the DNS problem, I bought Win 7 Professional (and don't ask me why, I don't know). Since the new stuff is Win 7 Home, does that make a difference (I think the answer is YES!!!, but I'd like some confirmation). And could I call/communicate with Microsoft to see if there's a different way out of this mess, since I'm just using the same software I've been using for the last few years?

Your thoughts?

SMM
mooresmsr
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:58 pm

You didn't need to buy another win7 copy, your upgrade will work with a simple workaround, but you will need to reinstall.

Win7 pro supports more than 16Gb of RAM (64bit Version), wheras 64bit Home is limited to 16Gbs (main noticable difference).
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:58 am

With an 'upgrade' OS, you need to have a valid previous version installed, or present the previous OS disk to the install process query when required. Should go without too many problems, and when activation time is at hand, you may be rebuffed.. but MS is lenient in most cases, requiring mainly proof of the product at hand. Those COA tags are unique to each install. And each is registered with the MS library of OS issues and production. Very unlikely that you could use another COA with an install disk of a different production batch. Only if part of a 'suite' of installs, as for businesses, could you use the same install disk with different COA tags.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Workaround and lenient

Postby mooresmsr » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:52 am

Guys,

A) Anywhere you can point me to give me details about the workaround? And if I do re-install, am I looking at the 8 days of windows updates all over again, and what about my non-windows pieces, like drivers and Intel support softwar?

B) Is there somewhere I can get info about the "lenient" process?

SMM
mooresmsr
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:38 am

In a short answer about computer operating systems.. "one copy, one install, one system, one user" (Administrator) is the rule. If the OS is used on another system, the OS may sense major differences (chipsets, processor type, users) and shut down.. permanently. Counterfeiting and piracy are major problems with almost all software. So you can't blame the provider for being quite a bit on the protective end of the deal.
All the issues are spelled out in the EULA, which you are encouraged to read and accept.
If you migrate the OS to another near-identical system, likely no major issues except minor drivers. But if major differences, the OS goes belly-up.
Regardless of OS version, the proper drivers for motherboard features are on the associated disk that comes with the board. If any revisions, they are made after the OS has been activated. Best to source drivers directly from the provider, not from "third-party" sources. This way, little chance of conflict. The Microsoft® site also has the latest sources, and they should be identical to the OEM source.. or mildly reconfigured to be 100% compatible to the OS version.
Yes, you can reactivate an older OS.. as long as it is still actively serviced (supported) by the provider. Windows XP is in an extended support period, not actively supported. Windows Vista also is not actively supported. The major proof you need that you are the sole user (lessee) of the OS and system, and that there are no other copies active. And that the COA is unique to the install.
As to a work-around, yes you can use the 'upgrade' OS install as a primary install.. as long as you provide proof of a previously acceptable OS version when requested. But you still may need some drivers and programming to be up to standards. An easy way is to do a basic install of the older OS, do the driver install, then do an upgrade before adding other programming, after the activation. You may need to update drivers for the newer OS version. Ensure they are digitally signed in accordance with the WHQL listings.
It may require a telephone call to Microsoft® or other OS provider, to certify that you are indeed the sole user of the OS and system, with the indication that "the hard drive crashed" or "the PSU fried my computer".
"The goat ate my software" is not acceptable!
May be a bit of a challenge, but don't let it deter you. Either go over it, under it, around it or through it! MS is willing to work with you and keep you as a happy client.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

OK, this is getting ridiculous

Postby mooresmsr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:55 pm

So the software from newegg arrived, and I'm looking at a package labeled "OEM Systems Builder Pack" with the note that it's for system builders only. It is MS Win 7 64 bit home premium, but I thought I was getting the "I'm the guy that owns this PC" stuff, not OEM to sell to someone else.

I talked to a few friends, and can't find a 64 bit XP anywhere, so I was just going to install the software I got from newegg and go from there. It only supports 16 GB of memory, but that's what I have on my system now, and it's working brilliantly, so I'm satisfied that what I have is good enough for right now. Except for the OEM part.

I tried the Microsoft site, and can't find a way to get to a person about activation. They have a forum community, but it looks like that's just what it is, a community, and not some authorized MS person that can help with my problem.

My question now is should I open the newegg package, put the stuff on, and go ahead just like I was the purchaser, or do I need to buy the other MS Win 7 64 bit premium home? As far as I can tell, the difference is about $100 from newegg, and I can't find anything at BestBuy or other box stores saying they have the non-OEM product.

Your ideas?

SMM
mooresmsr
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:00 am

"OEM" has two prominent meanings. First is "Original Equipment Manufacturer", the second is "Other Equipment Manufacturer".
The first denotes that the equipment was offered by a primary manufacturer or provider, exclusively.. with their brand name on it. The second meaning refers to providers or manufacturers of similar equipment, but not of the primary brand-name. Think along the lines of small shops that build computers, buying software or hardware in large lots.. and offering the product. For software by true original suppliers, it would be in a fancy box with all documentation and perhaps some 'bonus' goodies. For the secondary OEM source, likely no fancy boxes or 'bonus' goodies.. but still the identical software. Yes, there would be a difference in pricing!!
As to "system builder" class, yes you can build your own personal system from it.. without a sale involved! No penalties.
Windows XP (and other OS versions) are/were available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If your system is not capable of 64-bit operation, no reason to opt for the 64-bit version. But the 64-bit version should default to a 32-bit install. It is compatible to both platforms. There were four popular versions of Windows XP.. basic, home, pro and media.

My primary system has had three 'upgrades'.. from Win 98 to Win 2k Pro to Win XP. Did get the 64-bit Pro version, and it performs perfectly in 32-bit mode, and although the system is a 2006 vintage P4, it is still very capable of doing all my tasks.. including two F@H processes daily.

New Egg is a 'discount' seller. No huge, expensive stores or a gaggle of employees.. so you do get good prices compared to elsewhere. But with any purchase, on-line or in person, you would likely see a 20% or so restocking fee for any product that was opened but not used, if returned.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Bit of clarification

Postby mooresmsr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:44 am

The system I built is 64 bit -- i5 core -- so I want the 64 bit operating system. The package I got from newegg is the Win7 premier (premium?) 64 bit home edition, which, based on the notes above has a 16 GB system memory limit as the main difference between it and Win 7 Professional (32 GB, or more).

I'm still unclear about the OEM package, though. I don't know if I fall into the "Other Equipment Manufacturer" category or not. If I open the package, install it, and then try to activate it, will it have something that stops me, something that detects a non-"Dell" (or some other manufacturer) machine and says "sorry, you have to buy the $199 version, instead of the OEM version." That's kind of the issue I have with the Win 7 I installed when I got my new build up and running -- I didn't install XP first, so there wasn't an upgrade, just a raw install, and the activation detects that and says I have to install a "from scratch" version (or go through the work-around; I'm still looking for an old copy of XP 64 bit so I can do it that way, but not having much luck).

So, given all that verbiage, if I open the OEM version of the installation CDs from newegg, install the OS from them, will I be able to activate the system, or is there another glitch just waiting to bite me?

SMM
mooresmsr
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Roach412 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:07 am

there's really not much difference in the installation of an OEM vs. retail package. the difference is what comes behind it in terms of service/support.

if you buy a boxed retail version of the software you'll get support from MS on issues that you run into on that machine - you don't on an OEM installation(you also get a box and manual with retail, you get a disk via OEM). when you install as OEM, you are now considered the supplier of that software on the hardware and are expected to support it.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Sounds good

Postby mooresmsr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Roach -- since I haven't ever actually used MS for support (other than their regular updates that I don't control, just auto-install), I think I'll go for the OEM version. I just took $4 out of one pocket, and bought the system from myself, and put the $4 in the other pocket.

Oh, and all I got with the Win 7 upgrade was a great curvy box and a couple of DVD's -- no manuals, no fancy box, etc. Guess when you get right down to it, you can pay full rate $, OEM $, or Student $, ($199, $99, $9) for the same thing.

Still hoping for one of my friends to come through with the XP install for me, but the OEM box is a good fall-back, as I have 5 more days before my 30 day activation window runs out.

SMM
mooresmsr
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Operating Systems