looking for some brand name help

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

looking for some brand name help

Postby snewow » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:02 pm

my current system is asus m5a97 with an amd 6100 8g of sniper mem also have a 700 watt pw. my reason for upgrading is my current board doesn't support SLI i have 2 msi 550 nividia cards and would like to utilize the sli features. I am looking at the 990fx chip set since most of the board have pci e x16 in 2 slots. i have used msi, gigabyte and asus had good luck with asus and msi my gigabyte was ok but i noticed more problems and it was also 5 or 6 years ago the boards i have in mind are: ASrock 990FX Extreme3, gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 and Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0. just wondering what others think about these and if there is a particular board or brand to stay away from also i am trying to do this for the least expense since i won't be getting a huge performance boost. also wonder if anyone has any thoughts on open box items from newegg i normally wouldn't even think of it but they have the asus board now for a nice $112 instead of the normal 150

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts
snewow
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:42 am

What is the brand/model of that power supply? You may need to replace it if it's a no-name...

As for the board, there's not that much difference between Asus and Gigabyte. How long do you plan to use this new setup?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby snewow » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:07 pm

It is a Sea sonic at least a year or two I don't do any thing heavy i like to play a game here and there but can't spend much time with it BF3 or Planetside 2 both run fine for me now and both my video cars are in powered and running just the 2nd pci e slot is 4x and would work if i used ati or amd cards

my biggest question is the asrock board as bad as some of the reviews i have read with failing after 30 days or more if thats the case it would be worth it to me to spend the extra 30 bucks for the asus board i was looking at.
snewow
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:42 pm

Well normally I would advice Asrock for systems that you change the board in 2-3 years maximum. However after seeing the score for the Extreme3 varying this much, I will have to send you to either Gigabyte or Asus and seeing you already have a slight preference for Asus, go with that.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 am

No problem with the ASRock, virtually nil returns on them compared to the ASUS board. the Gigabyte board is Ok. Got an ASRock 990 board in the boys system, and you know how kids kick the ar*e of things.. I have an M5A99-Evo and its going strong too...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby snewow » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks you both have been helpful.

Also i am considering a new build for my wife. mostly just net surfing and office type application but she is a huge fan of the Sims 3 and soon the Sims 4.

I have been really thinking of switching her over to the FM2 socket and going with the new APU 6800k with the 7900 series gpu built right on. seems like it would do the job for that type of application. Any thoughts?

her current rig is a dual core amd chip I cant remember what one for sure runs at 3.1ghz and is on the am3 socket so i could just upgrade her cpu but i am some what interested in the APUs and the new series seems really improved over the 1st gen.
snewow
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Recommendations